I Forge Iron

Jasen's smithing progression.

Jasent

With any of the tool steels or spring steels I’ve learned as soon as orange starts to fade to red I stop! And back in the forge.  Too many times I’ve gone and hit it at dark red and end up with a crack at heat treat.  This self imposed rule has greatly improved my results 

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my 2 1/4 lb rounding hammer handled and dressed, made the bottle openers with it, couple hold downs for the striking anvil and welded up a quick tool tray.  Can be mounted on all 4 corners and I may add some pipe to the legs so I can mount it down and out of the way

AA5460AE-9032-46EF-A0F6-2EC27D45597C.jpeg

8D6D83FA-5459-4209-A6EE-3F0474263BCE.jpeg

Jasent; I too like the termination and now it's making me wonder about making a miniature horse shoe on the ends to go with the theme...

My last bottle opener reminded me of a an archeological find I once saw. I may finish it up and do another similar but with terminals based on that style only more snake like...minoan...

Jhcc gave me the idea of this termination.  I’ve also been thinking about a horseshoe type end.   Just got an order for 3 of these.  Then I’ll play with a different termination.  Also thought about making them from horseshoe and leave the middle as is so you can tell it was a horseshoe 

Jasent, what steel is that hammer head forged from? Was it a repurposed steel that could have gotten a cold shunt while forging, or new steel that had a defect? It looks like you will loose a lot of material trying to grind that out.

David

The bottle opener finish is burnt BLO 

it is recycled steel and could have had the crack but I didn’t see it    I’ll clean up the rest of the stock and look it over 

i May have just hit it too cold.  Had just sheared the plug and hit the face to release my punch. Then noticed the crack pulling out the forge to start drifting 

Parent stock has no cracks.  I think I need to do a bit more testing with this steel.  Seems more like tool steel than key stock.  Kinda reminds me of O1 though sparks are not the same.  Very close to coil spring in spark.  

2/3’s done with my bbq set.  Not happy with the twist on the fork but it is one of my better forks

A38E957E-8A40-4C37-9C07-20840649968C.jpeg

Thank you cgl.  

Found some extra time in the shop tonight so I started my first sword. It’s a short sword of some kind. 18” blade double edged made from the spring from a spring tooth.  Lost 8” due to stress cracks but the rest looks good

D4511C72-7092-4436-8548-CE547B73C1D0.jpeg

Swedefiddle I’ll be sure to not make a habit of it.  Just had this spring tooth hanging on the wall staring at me every day screaming to be a saber/ short sword.  I’m not a blade guy I prefer to make tools but this thing just wants to be a blade.  Hopefully I don’t screw it up too bad

11 hours ago, Jasent said:

.  Not happy with the twist on the fork but it is one of my better forks

Was it a case of I don't like it so I'll keep tweaking it until I really don't like it? I seem to have that problem sometimes. I make things worse trying to fix a minor flaw and end up with a major flaw. 

Pnut