I Forge Iron

July 2017 Something for hanging on the wall

Glenn

Leghold traps were first invented to keep poachers out of European estates in the 1600's (see Mantrap (snare)). Blacksmiths made traps of iron in the early 1700's for trappers. By the 1800's companies began to manufacture steel leghold traps.

Body-gripping traps are designed to kill animals quickly. They are often called "Conibear" traps after Canadian inventor Frank Conibear who began their manufacture in the late 1950s as the Victor-Conibear trap. Many trappers consider these traps to be one of the best trapping innovations of the 20th century;[23][24] when they work as intended, animals that are caught squarely on the neck are killed quickly, and are therefore not left to suffer or given a chance to escape.

The general category of body-gripping traps may include snap-type mouse and rat traps, but the term is more often used to refer to the larger, all-steel traps that are used to catch fur-bearing animals. These larger traps are made from bent round steel bars. These traps come in several sizes including model #110 or #120 at about 5 by 5 inches (130 by 130 mm) for muskrat and mink, model #220 at about 7 by 7 inches (180 by 180 mm) for raccoon and possum, and model #330 at about 10 by 10 inches (250 by 250 mm) for beaver and otter.

MAKE NO MISTAKE about it, these devises can injure, brake bones, or kill depending on the size of the animal and the size of the trap. You must be prepared to deal with a VERY upset and injured animal that is in a life and death fight. 

Most people do not know how powerful these devices are, or what they can actually do in use. Once you see a trap SLAM closed your attitude changes. To see a animal caught in a trap will change your life.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

huh. that looks like a burnt bit o' cord-wood with nails stickin in it.:huh: 

13 hours ago, Glenn said:

MAKE NO MISTAKE about it, these devises can injure, brake bones, or kill depending on the size of the animal and the size of the trap. You must be prepared to deal with a VERY upset and injured animal that is in a life and death fight. 

Most people do not know how powerful these devices are, or what they can actually do in use. Once you see a trap SLAM closed your attitude changes. To see a animal caught in a trap will change your life.

I have used 'um a bit, and they can be pretty rough. I've seen even my 1 springs can shatter a possum's leg.

I see it John. That's cool. 

Glenn, I used to trap when I was younger and we had many predators after our chickens. There are a few reasons I don't now. One being that I have pet cats and care a bit for feral cats in my area. Another being that where I'm at now I don't have much if any problems with predators going after my chickens. 

Thanks for the info Glenn. I didn't know some of that info.

I will get the trap set tonight and list all of the suggestions so far. 

14 hours ago, Farmall said:

I think you paint a number "1" on the trip, and the sign should say:

"Complaints? Press 1 for help"

Hmm. Just thought about it, just change it to, press 5 for help. Eh.. Only Romans would get it. 

Painful and lethal doorbells for solicitors have been around for centuries at least. One of my favorites as seen posted on an email list years ago was. A double door entrance. The left door had a mundane if beautifully made door knocker. The door on the right had a sign saying "Solicitor's Entrance." with a bell pull next to it. The sign bracket above the door had an axe as an element and the bell pull was connected to a release. There were similar ones on the sight we were linked to the mace was as nice but the guillotine blade looked like it might miss.

This idea has been around so long and so often used I don't feel ANY compunctions about using it. An old acquaintance, owner of a military surplus store had a hand grenade on the counter with a tag (#1) on the pin. The sign said, "Complaints promptly addressed take a number."

Frosty The Lucky. 

Got one of em cleaned and painted. Will get through statements tomorrow. List em and see if there is a consensus or if I have to pick one.   If others or I pick my own I will put all posters names in a hat and pick one. 

image.jpg

Ok. Please Vote your favorite. Here are the ideas presented in no real order but sort of. Just state the number of you like. 

1- complaints? Press 1 for help

2-complaints department call bell, press here

3- No experience, press button before posting. 

4- for explanation of Dunning-Kruger effect, push button

5- push button to recieve curmudgeonly advice not to push button

6- reality check, push here

7- bill collectors, push red button 

8-dept. of education ring the school bell 

9- tax collectors, please press for immediate assistance

10- press 5 for assistance

11- press Dit Dit Dit Dah for service

12- complaints promptly addressed, press button 

13- complaint department, push button

14- push button for complaint

15- have problem, push button

16- need finger itched, push button 

please vote on your favorite and or add more. 

Uh. I'm no computer guru. Just state a number of your favorite or state it. Sorry guys wish I was more computer smart to make buttons but I'm older school. I numbered em Geesh what more ya want to make it easy?

Oh wait Old School is a bad thing.? Lol. Ugh. 

one vote? this is really hard to pick....hhhmmm

Littleblacksmith

On the one pictured I actually took the advice of Dale Russell and heated the spring so it is weak. It will close but not hard at all :D  I've had a couple others push the trigger and it didn't hurt them. so it can be set and give a little scare.  Of course they wouldn't do it till I did. haha. 

Ooh, that is a GOOD idea Glenn on all counts. Safe is more important than a good gag. Even closing weakly could hurt a young child. A loud recording of a big trap snapping closed would be sweet. Just make sure it's hung away from the steps or porch edge so nobody will jump off the edge and fall. 

Frosty The Lucky.