I Forge Iron

Hello

Hello fellow blacksmiths, I am a 14 year old blacksmith from Maine. I have been blacksmithing/bladesmithing for around 5-6 months. I started by reading Wayne Goddard’s 50 dollar knife shop, so I started collecting equipment and gradually got interested in blacksmithing from reading I forge iron. Today I decided to make an account (YAY!), I am also a member of the New England Blacksmiths. I have attended one workshop and one hamme-in so far, and LOVE! It, I also plan on attending this years spring meet. I have a coal forge and 150 pound anvil (not ASO) and are currently working on making tools along with Alec Steele’s evolution of tool making. I will post my tools, forge, anvil, and stuff in there respected section in the days to come.    

Welcome aboard Dylan, glad to have you. Sounds like you're going at it with a good plan. Alec Steele makes excellent tools as does Dave Custer and so will you once you start making your own. Few things feel better than using tools you made with your own hands. 

Frosty The Lucky.

As Frosty said, welcome aboard. Have you looked into New England School of Metalwork? They're right there in Auburn, and have some great opportunities in black and blade smithing. I drove over 450 miles to take a class. You could probably ride a bike.

Steve

14 hours ago, Dylan Sawicki said:

Yes I have and I plan on taking a class sometime, but I called them and you have to be 16.

There is always some specific age we are waiting to attain, 16, 18, 21, (in my day draft age) 25 for lower insurance?, Middle age, retirement age and POFF Old Age!  In my mind the difference between 16 & 21 was 10 yrs., and between middle age and Old age was 10 days. 

As my mom said keep busy learning as you wait, Welcome to IFI lots of reading here.  Sounds like you have got a good start keep with it as it is a lifetime of learning.  NEB's spring fling looks like it should be great and 2 of the demonstrators started young working with their Dad. 

Enjoy

Dylan You DO NOT have to wait. Start NOW and you will have a couple of years of experience by then. I know a fellow that started blacksmithing at age 6 (six) years old and by age 9 (nine) was giving international blacksmithing demonstrations across the internet. 

Learn all you can, and take it to the forge to then understand what you have learned. Simple projects at first then more and more complicated and more complex as your knowledge and experience grows.

You seem to have a fire in your belly already. DO NOT allow anyone to discourage you. Find a way around them and leave always seek those that can assist you in reaching your goals, whatever they are.

Just by reading IForgeIron you will gain knowledge. Hammer time will give you the skill and expertise. 

Heh, heh, heh, Of course we misunderstand you Dylan, you're a teenager. You'll probably be in your 40s before you know on a gut level we understand you just fine from personal experience. ;)

You're going to fit in here perfectly, us old farts need a little high energy drive around us. You come up with the ideas, we'll tell you the tricks we learned and you can tell us about the new tricks you come up with. It's a good thing. 

Carry on. Frosty The Lucky.

On April 25, 2017 at 7:58 AM, notownkid said:

There is always some specific age we are waiting to attain, 16, 18, 21, (in my day draft age) 25 for lower insurance?, Middle age, retirement age and POFF Old Age!  In my mind the difference between 16 & 21 was 10 yrs., and between middle age and Old age was 10 days. 

As my mom said keep busy learning as you wait, Welcome to IFI lots of reading here.  Sounds like you have got a good start keep with it as it is a lifetime of learning.  NEB's spring fling looks like it should be great and 2 of the demonstrators started young working with their Dad. 

Enjoy

I concur with Dale.  I'm looking forward to the Spring meet.  It's going to create some challenges for me because it is so far away and I may have to drive home late Saturday night because of family obligations.  I'm working on babysitting for a big part of Saturday as well because my wife has exams to take.  Weekends are a challenge!

Dylan, welcome to the hobby.

On 4/24/2017 at 1:50 PM, Glenn said:

Introduction to knife making is another good book. Click on the title for more details. Autographed copies are still available I think. 

Welcome to the forum.

On 4/24/2017 at 2:06 PM, Dylan Sawicki said:

Already have it and read it lol.

thanks to you and my mom we sold at least 2 copies now :)