I Forge Iron

Cross-over tools

A blacksmith can and will use most anything available to their advantage. He will recognize the advantage and put it to use in  his shop. And it is ok to borrow from another craft or industry as they have already invented the wheel so to speak. You just put it to use in another way.

We always need new tools, or ways of doing things. What items have you put to use in your shop?

To measure a curved object, use a plastic sewing tape measure which is very flexible and follows the curves very well. Read the measurement directly on the tape.

You can use a piece of solder to do the same thing.

I use a portable adjustable stand intended for miter saws to support long stock when I need to have the hands free. I use an old vac to blow my smoke out. My slake tub is intended for masonry. I use a funny kitchen tong Intended to grap whatnots to pick coals that may have fallen to the floor. I use a kitchen gas burner intended for glazing puddings to start my fire - The flame reaches further down than a match.

Most folks have an adjustable height rest, or third hand, in their shop or close by. They call it an auto jack stand. Cribbing may help get it to the right height.  For taller projects use a transmission jack stand.

Need a micro adjustment? Use a bottle jack on cribbing, an auto hydraulic floor jack, or engine hoist. 

And if a fellow had a screw type house jack handy , , , 

You asked for cross-over Glenn. This is a carpentry item used in a blacksmith shop.

And I forgot.  I use a discarded aluminium frying pan with the "edges" cut off to protect the anvil when chiseling. The handle is handy.

13 minutes ago, gote said:

I use a discarded aluminium frying pan with the "edges" cut off to protect the anvil when chiseling. The handle is handy.

That's a nifty idea. Must remember that on the next thrift shop visit.

• 3 weeks later...

And I use a little stainless gardening "hand showel" intended for potting compost in the forge. It is perfect the way I run the relatively small forge. I always have the fire covered so the short handle is no disadvantage.

For doing twists in square bar I always use one of those thread-cutting tools. They give equal weight on each side which avoids bending, and they are adjustable to suit the size of the stock. I have a bunch of them to suit the work, from the little 6 inch guy up to the 3 footer.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember maybe 30 years ago I was in a small local horseshoe forging competion, I had a tent stake I was using as a bob punch for my clips. One of the other guys thought it was some specialty tool with the hook there to protect my hand if I lacked enough control to keep from hitting my hand.

I made a couple of carpentry marking knives and find I use them for marking mild steel more than wood. They scribe a thin and precise line in the metal. I also use my professional grade tempering oven (toaster oven) to cook mini pizzas.

make your stock stands (3rd hands, jack type support) adjustable by using pipe for the stem....one piece sleeves into the larger to slide the adjustment up or down.  The outer pipe has a hole drilled into one side, a nut welded to the hole and a "T' handle welded to the bolt fitting the nut ... this locks the inner pipe in place..... could use an eye bolt  just need enough to give torque to lock the pipes in place.  Stock_Stands_2.JPG