I Forge Iron

Help, what does this mean? Wanting to sell, value?

The single photo doesn't provide enough information about condition and the general location can have a greater effect on value than the other variables. Take pictures of all four sides, and the top and add a general location to your user profile. In central Ms. USA where I  am a given anvil will vary greatly in value from the same anvil located in South Africa, or even South Carolina.

I have a Trenton. great anvils. Also, weight is a Very important thing in determining value. give us some pics and we can help guess the weight, or put it on a bathroom scale. Nice find!

Littleblacksmith

Another thing, DO NOT GRIND, MILL, OR WELD ON THE FACE OF THE ANVIL! it will ruin it! a working tool doesn't have to be shiny and nice and crisp to be a working tool. that anvil has a thin high carbon steel (harder steel) face plate that has been forge welded on. The more you grind, the less of that face plate is still there, and that is what makes anvils like that what they are; the face plate. With out it, it wont hold up as well as it could, and you will take generations of work out of that beauty. I'm not trying to pick on you, its just that i have seen too many tools ruined by people who were trying to "restore" it or "fix" it, and where they ended up getting just a little more than scrap prices ($0.10 a pound).

Image result for parts of an anvil

Nice! The side with the horn facing left is usually in better shape than the other one, but if the edge on the far side looks anything like this side, you have a nice one. From what I've seen, anvils in your area tent to go for more than they do around here. If I were you, I would put it on Craigslist for $700 and go from there if it doesn't sell quickly.

Wow! That looks great. You can test rebound by dropping a ball bearing and measuring the percentage it bounces but it looks good in the photos. Nobody can tell you exactly what the value is, that depends somewhat on how badly the buyer wants it. If the rebound is good, in my location, I would list it for around $3.50 USD per pound. Based on the last couple I have sold, within the past year, it would bring that with no problem. You need to shop for anvils in your area to get a feel for how your local market is running. Local farm papers and even CL will give you a much more realistic view than FleeBay! Good luck!

The stand is not original, and does not add much, if any, value to someone that would use it in a shop.

There appear to be letters on one side. A quick pass with a hand wire brush or a scotchbrite pad would knock off the loose rust.

Then a quick dusting of chalk or flour would make the letters pop visually in a close-up photo.

Patricia: Blacksmithing isn't about strength, it's about control. The ladysmiths I know aren't as strong as I am but they have superb hammer control because they can't just power things into submission. With a couple technique tips and practice you can hit harder using snap than you can trying to punch a hammer into the anvil.

Crack the hammer like a whip. Hold it in a loose grip between thumb and first finger so it can pivot for another hinge point force multiplier. This does a couple things to your benefit: First, it isolates your skeleton from the impact shock that is reflected back through the hammer. Secondly every pivot point is a force MULTIPLIER it's not additive it's multiplicitive so your blows have significantly more force on impact for more effect.

The down side to using what I call my fencer's grip is it takes more skill to be accurate but it's so consistent it doesn't take a huge amount of practice to get good.

That is a truly SWEET anvil. Sure it'll sell for top dollar depending on your area its in such great condition but you can sell it anytime. Honest it's desirability will NOT diminish, no need to hurry unless you're desperate for money now. If so you do what you need to do.

I'd really REALLY like to see you expressing what you see in your mind's eye in steel and what the heck, blacksmithing is an addictive skill and we love more folk posting pics. 

Frosty The Lucky.