I Forge Iron

Show off your diy forge

Blaine

Version one, DSCN0579.thumb.JPG.6d819eae90bb3e2c95f0266d8d77a871.JPGversion two,DSCN2930.thumb.JPG.ddaf0e52a79be52af8e3a9b030064c83.JPG version three,DSCN3508.thumb.JPG.1be9da39ccaef640aa42517c2d9e04a4.JPG all with the same brake drum and tuyere piping. By the time I'd bolted the drum into the metal cart, I'd cut off the ash dump end of the piping and put a bucket of water under the ash dump, full enough to cover the end of the pipe, that ended all rusted up ash dump issues.

that last version was hauled to a Hammer In and donated to the Iron in the Hat event. Replaced with a cast iron forge and firepot.

Here is mine, been in service for 25+ years. The only cost was for the pipe and electricity + welding rods for the welder.

The blower was donated by a friend who owned Hanby Lumber & Milling that had a blacksmith shop in the early 1900s.

The body is cut down from a semi-trailer wheel with a 22 inch manhole ring as the table. The legs are a split grader blade. Everything scrounged from various sources.

migket.jpg

Here is my first attempt. Still not finished, have to put a lip around outer edge of table. Firepot made from 3/4" plate thanks to a friend with a lot of steel and a plasma cutter. Had I known more the design would have been different. Good start until I know more what my needs are.

20170308_075133.jpg

20170308_160900.jpg

29 minutes ago, DiggerDiggs said:

Been burning anthracite coal from tractor supply. Got plenty hot but was a little hard to lite.

The secret to lighting anthracite is to get a good fire going with newspaper, kindling, and a handful of charcoal. Once that's going, pile coal on from the sides, leaving an opening at the top like a volcano. A good, steady blast, and Bob's your uncle. 

18 hours ago, JHCC said:

The secret to lighting anthracite is to get a good fire going with newspaper, kindling, and a handful of charcoal. Once that's going, pile coal on from the sides, leaving an opening at the top like a volcano. A good, steady blast, and Bob's your uncle. 

Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try next time I fire it up.

One of anthracite's other quirks is that it needs some degree of blast all the time; otherwise, it will go out. Not a problem if you're using a mechanical blower (especially one you can turn way down while you're actually forging), but an issue if you're relying on a hand crank or a hand pump.