I Forge Iron

second real knife, welded cable

Daswulf

32 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

JHCC, I read on here somewhere ( really can't recall the post) that using sand paper or grinding before using a file is bad for the file since the abrasive material can embed in the knife so when you move to the file it will wear on your file. Just something that stuck in my mind. I have better files and junky files, and start with the junkies ones when something is rough, or I had hit it with a grinder first. Just something to think about. 

I read that too, but ALL my files are junky ones!

13 minutes ago, JHCC said:

I read that too, but ALL my files are junky ones!

:rolleyes:

I just picked up even more files at a second hand store. Half were in really good shape. Bundles of 4-5 files for about $2.50 a bundle. Two even had nice handles. I'm always on the hunt. 

The problem with using files after grinding, sanding etc. is grit comes off the wheel, paper, etc. and embeds in the steel which dulls files almost immediately. Oh they aren't blunted but it sure cuts their lifespan down, does the same for drill bit, lathe cutters, saws, etc.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks D.C. I make some rough stuff believe me.  :) I try to refine techniques and the work as I go. Seeing what I can improve on helps me do just that. Also I see others amazing work and work towards getting there one day.