I Forge Iron

Today's acquisition

Sargos

I paid $5 each, and I do indeed plan on using the ones that suit me. The rest will be made operational and put on the rack till I can find a use for them.

I plan on reading and trying until I can duplicate them. You never know when that might come in handy right?

Edited by Sargos
Additional content

For about 50 bucks I reckon you got a good deal. They all look usable (even though you may not be sure what for) and certainly some could be refashioned to accommodate the work you do. And definitely not scrap.

You did good, clean them up, get them working, put them on a rack where they can be seen.  After a yr. or two you will know the ones you want to use and keep the rest they can be trading material or stay on the rack  for a future use someday out of the blue.  either way impressive for visitors to see in your shop.  None are scrap!  Tools and scrap  should never be used in the same sentence nor paragraph. 

This looks like a very usable and multifunctional set. The ones with function you can figure right now will be the ones you use first. But keep the others in sight because you may have a job sometimes which requires one of them. - IE. I bought a set of different tongs from a late blacksmith's wife. Bought a big-big box jaw as one of them. Never could use them but recently I had to draw out two quite big splitting wedges - guess which tongs were the only ones to use...

Bests:

Gergely

It will all depend on what you want to work on...  The smaller headed tongs that look like they are designed to hold flat stock maybe around 1/4" thick, those are generally called fire tongs, and used by farriers, they work fine for working flat stock that they fit.  The tongs in the first picture pointing up in the upper right corner, are an old set of Champion fire tongs.  The third set from the right in the second picture, is a set of pick-up tongs, (sometimes called double pick up, because there are two humps...), and they are often used to handle a block of steel under a power hammer, they are good for holding odd shapes. You can also use them for making hammer heads, they are handy for flipping things back and forth and stuff.  The fourth set from the left in the second picture are called a bent knee, or hoop tongs, useful for turning hoops and rings, and occassionally for bending things...  The three pairs where the jaws form a circle before the jaws meet, are called bolt tong.  The head of the bolt would go inside the circle, and the shaft would be gripped by the jaws.  They tend to be pretty useful, in the right sizes...  The bolt tongs in the first picture look like they are really nice pair...

The first pair in the lower left in the second picture looks interesting, can't really tell what they are??? Would be nice to see a better picture, or two of those jaws???

• 2 weeks later...

1st pic, 2nd item down on left.  Looks like a re-use of the hinge from an old folding buggy top or doctor's hack. 

Blacksmiths tend to reuse things occasionally; I happen to have a set of dividers that g-g-granpa made from the same type hinge.