I Forge Iron

A matter of right and wrong

C-1ToolSteel

My favorite pronunciation is, "Coyote Killer," though I rarely use it except at demos. I pronounce it Anvl with the B silent. I understand folk who say anvILL but cant help but think of them as folk who have never heard it spoken.

I've also heard it pronounced with the "vil" mushed into a single sound little representing the letters. It sort of reminded me of Brando in "The Godfather." 

Frosty The Lucky.

Not meaning to hijack your thread, but how do ya'll say Damascus? Do you say it like "Damascus"? or do you say "damask"? I have a friend at church from New Zealand, who says it like "damask". Have any of ya'll heard it like that? for me I say it option #1.

Littleblacksmith

On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 7:15 AM, Anachronist58 said:

Blauwhpoyp

How's the yabbies runnin Ausfire?

Blauwhpoyp. Yeah I like that one. I got a voyce and pair o' ployers and a screwdroyver too. :rolleyes:

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 10:14 AM, Andrew Martin said:

According to the Oxford American Desk Dictionary

I'll bet the Oxford bunch never have used nor owned an anvil that would be "Vil"  My anvil is "Tinker" no not Bell, Named for the guy who owned it before I got it in an auction, his father had bought it new in about 1890 something it is still in the same town as then.

I learned swage as rage as well,  Really doesn't make a lot of difference in the end. 

This what I like about IFI all the input from far and wide Thanks folks!

IIRC Damascus is or was Persian, maybe Ottoman or earlier, meaning "With or Having, perhaps Of the Mark" Damasc meaning "The Mark" or perhaps "Marked." 

The city of Damascus was and is a cross roads for major trade routes and all Damascus steel came through there. The city name eventually ended up being the same as the magical steel with the mark. Another thought might be that all trade going through had to be marked to indicate taxes and fees had been paid, the tax stamp on a bottle of liquor would be it's Damasc.

Go ahead, ask me for a cite I dare ya. :P That's purely anecdotal though I know I read it somewhere more than once. Sounds plausible though doesn't it? 

Unless the billet has been made in the same manner as the ancient product, "Damascus" I call it "pattern welded". The ore used to make Damascus steel was mined in a seriously limited region and has been depleted for all practical intents and purposes for a long time. 

The technique for producing Damascus steel has been redeveloped but not the source of the ore.

Of course that's just my recollection, I could be wrong.

Frosty The Lucky.

Pendray and Verhoeven figured out how wootz worked; Pendray a well know bladesmith and Verhoeven a metallurgist.

I would point out that both materials: wootz and pattern welding, have been called damascus steel for several hundred years and so while using their proper names helps to prevent confusion, their joint name is valid in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have discovered that no matter how I pronounce it or with what regional variation, the voice-to-text feature on my phone never recognizes it:

And Ville

And fill

And feel

And for

And Val 

Anneville

(and the list goes on....)