I Forge Iron

Heart dinner bell

Daswulf

A heart shaped dinner bell made from some old tire irons.  I did quench and harden it. Rings nicely. Only about 7" tall. 

Its a gift for my mother. She has always liked the triangle dinner bells so I thought I would make her one that is heart shaped. 

I'm debating exactly how I want to hang it. I'm torn between hanging it straight up with a tie at each of the top most parts of the heart, or hanging it crooked from one of the tops of the heart. Thoughts?

image.jpg

No doubt it would dampen it a bit at least. I did loop the ends of a leather strip on to each side to hold it after I was done. Still rang pretty well. I didn't really compare the sound from one tie off point to two. And I'd bet a central connection would be the best for the sound. 

A notch at the join and hang it on a wooden peg is my thought. OR mortise and tenon a ring to the back of the joint so you can hang it with a leather thong.

Just thoughts, Beautiful piece Das.

Development a hanger for an Arrow striker on the diagonal across it and you have the perfect gift for the sweetie. Hmmm?

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Aus, They can give me grief at times too. One side is a little off tho after an "almost" scary run in with the wire wheel but I tapped it back around. Another reason to Really be careful when working with a wire wheel on a 1hp buffer. I think next time I'll just use the 3" wire wheel on the pneumatic die grinder for something like this. 

Yep, with the air motor, when things start to get away from you, you can abort fairly easily, while with the other, once it starts to get away from you, more often than not, it will have its way with you. Not good when it throws your project back at you at 88 ft/sec, or sucks your arm in.

Don't cross the Rubicon.

Yup.  For the 1hp I have to suit up with my leather welding coat, gloves, safety glasses, and face shield. And you really have to be mindful of stance and how you hold the piece to the wheel. If it takes the piece from you let it go. It pulls the piece down and back. I have a rubber stall mat under it so nothing ricochets off the concrete floor. So far I haven't had a wire wheel throw anything at me but little wire darts.