I Forge Iron

Life lessons in the smithy. Share yours

So my buddy has 2 boys, one boy is 3 years older then the other..... so he is your typical bossy, kinda cocky older brother who can do it better, faster, and all the things that come with the job of the older brother. I have always liked a good practical joke as well a good lesson on humility.......Being and older brother myself and being raised in Montana I was humbled and taught many good lessons during my 27 years there......I think its my obligation to pass this knowledge along.

So anyway 2 brothers. They have come and forged iron a few times and it is of course easier for the big brother to move the steel as he was about 25lbs bigger then his little brother. but I told the the boys they both needed to strengthen their arms, a good way to do this is beating on an old tire.....(not mounted and full of air) everyday for 15min every 2 hours or at least until they cant lift the hammer anymore. Little brother was very committed to this, after 3 weeks  his right arm was noticeably much stronger and toned........But I like to really teach a lesson because both boys were instructed to work out their arms but the big brother did not. Leaning of course on his size and felt he didn't need to be stronger.

The boys came to forge iron and so I planned a project using 1/2" bar stock..........I gave a 12" piece of mild steel to little brother and a 12" piece of 01 stainless tool steel to big brother.......you can imagine the efficiency in which the buffed up little brother moved his iron....but I really wanted to drive to point home that hardwork pays off, and that big brother may want to reconsider messing around little brother anymore. It has been reported that both boys go out and work their hammers on the old tire. It definitely showed in their ability to move the steel when they come and forge iron. They are now 18 and 15, I figure here in about 5 more years I'll let them in on what happened that day in the smithy......but I doubt it

Metal does not have to be red to be hot (not original to me).  In similar fashion, things that look fine in life can be very dangerous, damaging, or otherwise detrimental.

P.S. That's one of the best practical jokes I've seen in a while.

The iron demands tribute and you will pay it whether you like it or not.  If you're not ready to be burned, cut, poked, prodded, bruised and otherwise reminded of your frailty, there's no place for you in the smithy.

Drive is a crucial ingredient.  If you're not motivated to read, research and watch videos on your own time, there's not much a smith can do with you when you walk into the shop.  If you're expecting to have your hand held and be spoon fed... prepare for disappointment!

There's more to the world than swords, knives and axes. You need to learn how to walk before you can run.  Be humble and acknowledge your limitations.

1. Everything might be hot.

2. Everything is waiting for it's chance to take a bite out of you.

3. Charge more.

4. Charge even more.

5. If you want to be able to do this for more than a few years before your body gets hurt, cross train.  Preferably something cardiovascular and skeleto-muscular.

6. Did I mention charging more?

This is specifically what I love about blacksmithing. It's a chance for me to think about life and process everything through the lens of forging.

Here are some gems I keep with me. This is good advice when applied to the shop, but they are all metaphors to dealing with things and people in your life.

*The metal will never get hotter than your fire. Things don't tend to surpass their environment.

*Forging metal too cold (under the wrong circumstances) is possible, but expends much more time and energy. You're also always at risk of breaking something.

*Metal is like a person. If it's cold, it won't move for you. Warm it up and treat it right. You'll get what you need out of it.

*Every time you swing the hammer into the steel, it has a consequence. Be mindful of your words and actions.

*If the steel isn't moving how you want it to, you're doing something wrong. See the hint above.

*Never swing the hammer harder than you can control it, and never use a hammer too heavy for comfort. Know your limits or face the consequences.

*Doing it right the first time is infinitely faster than going back and fixing mistakes.

*Proper sequence is important. Don't get ahead of yourself.

*Most mistakes can be fixed, but sometimes it's best to move on.

*Never show off or pretend to know things you don't. You'll make yourself a target for all kinds of malicious behavior.

*Hot steel is only dangerous if you're ignorant or careless. Keep your wits about you.

That's all I feel like writing for now. Thanks for starting this thread. I hope you all like reading what I have to say.

This is the time you are supposed to be sharing the fruits of your experience with the next generation(s).  The internet just makes it easier and gives you a wider audience to your cautionary tales and advice. Perhaps some will listen and not make the mistakes we did and go farther in certain areas than we did. (Just look at custom knifemaking of the 1950's vs the 2010's!)