I Forge Iron

Owl

Daswulf

Here is a commissioned owl that was asked for a while ago and needed before Christmas. done and done. I thought about a mouse in it's claws but this one is good as is. Next one, since I have atleast 1 or 2 more to make.  I only made 3 or 4 different sets of eyes for this guy. one I liked more but it didn't work out shape wise. his head is built off of a bearing and spins fully around.  hopefully my photography is better but I messed it up again. I've spilled enough beers, and stomped enough bulbs tonight. Jeesh......next time....    enjoy.

006.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

020.JPG

011.JPG

021.JPG

That is really cool, Aric. I like how you hide a lot of the welds. Those spoon handles on a mower blade (?) make great feathers. You can make horned owls like this, but we don't get them in Australia so I have to content myself with the round faced barn owl types.

A nice touch to have the head swivelling on a bearing. So what is the head assembly and beak??

Thanks Darryl. 

Yup those are fork and spoon handles on lawnmower blades. The blades looked too plain on their own.  The head is an assembly of a large bolt and nut through a bearing. The bolt/nut part is welded to the body and there is a cv axle? race welded to the outer of the bearing for welding the head parts to. The beak was just forged out round bar stock. 

You can make horned owls. It would be more exotic. :) 

Marc, my second look at that owl I noticed the crow. :D 

That's by far the best owl garden sculpture I've seen in a long time, Daswulf! I love owls, they're such interesting and beautiful creatures. How many toes does your owl have? I can't quite tell in the pictures. Owls have a neat feature that lets them swivel their third toe (the outermost front one) backwards, so they can have two toes forward, two toes back, or three forward and one back. Usually you will see them in 3-1 mode while perching; they switch to 2-2 mode as they dive down on their prey, because it grips the prey better. Aren't owls cool?

Thanks Andrew.  Um, well, now that you mention that... :) I only gave him 3 toes :rolleyes: perhaps I didn't look at enough references.  Owls are really cool birds but I will admit that I don't know a whole lot about them. The reference I was looking at had the owl perched with 2 toes forward. 

All in all the new owner is thrilled with it and I can do better on the next one. 

Thanks Dcav. 

Adult great horned owls range in length from 43 to 64 cm (17 to 25 in), and possess a wingspan of 91 to 153 cm (3 ft 0 in to 5 ft 0 in). Females are somewhat larger than males. Depending on subspecies, maximum weight can reach 2,503 g (5.518 lb)

The legs, feet and talons are large and powerful. Tarsal length is 54–80 mm (2.1–3.1 in).

The average foot span of a fully spread foot, from talon to talon, is around 20 cm (7.9 in). Great horned owls can apply at least 300 pounds per square inch (PSI) of crushing power in their talons, a PSI considerably greater than the human hand is capable of exerting. In some big females, the gripping power of the great horned owl may be comparable to much larger raptor species such as the golden eagle.

Reference: Wikipedia

We had a great horned owl nesting in the "antenna barn" when I was working for NRAO,  got a good look at it when I climbed into the dish of an antenna being worked on----80' tall and 80' wide dish, the barn only has 3 sides so lots of fly room.   My current job I get to see some cute tiny burrowing owls that like to live in prairie dog holes along the road to the border.

Thanks for the pic, Marc. That looks like a Powerful Owl, the biggest we get here. I didn't notice the unfortunate crow until second look either. The ones we see most here are Frogmouth Owls - don't know if you get them down your way.

Australia’s Owls

Australia has nine species of owl. They fall into two genera, Ninox (hawk-owls and boobooks) and Tyto (barn owls and masked owls). The four species of Ninox(Rufous Owl, Powerful Owl, Barking Owl and Southern Boobook) all have large, yellow eyes and a hawk-like face. The five species of Tyto (Masked Owl, Sooty Owl, Lesser Sooty Owl, Grass Owl and Barn Owl) all have a heart-shaped facial disc. Some species, like the Boobook and Barn Owl, are widely distributed across Australia, while others, like the Lesser Sooty Owl, have a restricted distribution. Australia’s owls are more often heard than seen.

The Great Horned owl is Bubo Virginianus, a different species. The do have some similarities. 

220px-Bubo_virginianus_06.jpg

Nope it was when I was new and getting the grand tour of the facility and our guide was a birdwatcher and so we had to climb up the antenna to see it.  Later the new people were going through the museum's gift shop and were talking about climbing around an 80' dish antenna...the staff didn't recognize us as we were *new* and were about to call the sheriff until finally someone mentioned our guide's name---safety officer for the site---and they relaxed.

That Great Horned Owl has a character face. Wish we had horned owls here - they make more interesting sculptures. I suppose I could try one anyway - don't have to restrict myself to Australian critters! We often hear Boobook owls here, though I have never seen one.

Here's a Tawny Frogmouth that lobbed onto our veranda rail recently:

frogmouth.jpg