I Forge Iron

Zombie Apocalypse Bone Crusher

Ok Thomas I see your point, I'll need some of that homemade insulin too....does your buddy know how to make Entresto too? Need that for the ol ticker.

Charles, a 12g slug and double 00 ball definitely would do the trick or even shrapnel loaded barrels ;)

Lot of comfort NOT having to worry about the future.  Here in the USA Social Security will out last me for example.

As for zombie tactics; I am reminded of ones suggested for bears: "I don't have to outrun the bear I just need to out run *you*!"

I would strongly suggest to NOT use a knife to fight zombies!   Hmm if zombies dehydrate then would a red hot piece of rebar set them alight?

IIRC sheep pancreas are used for extracting, refining(?) insulin for human use. Human cadavers would be even easier and better insulin but would using zombie insulin cure diabetes?

I'm afraid it'd probably take me a while to succumb to a lack of insulin and I'd keep getting crankier.

I'm a big fan of 00 buck myself but if I need a slug I have a rifled 12 ga. slug gun that's amazingly accurate and easily penetrates 24" or better of birch. The shotgun only puts a slug about 10-12" into a birch log. Rounds out of the same box, compared on the same lunch break on the same trees.

Frosty The Lucky.

I've been hearing the old chestnut about wounding the soldier with 5.56 for a long time now, but I think it's up there with the one about breaking horns off anvils in the civil war. If nothing else, consider that a weapon designed to wound directly violates law of war, which is the reason we're still stuck carrying the M9 with the lousy full jacketed rounds instead of something decent.

After WWII, there were a series of combat studies that showed that most encounters happened at very short range, and were usually won by the people who could deploy the most rounds downrange in a hurry. They tried the M2 (carbine not the 50 cal) for awhile in the 50s, and the round in it was weak and didn't cut it. So, they needed something lightweight that could expend a lot of rounds, went to the M14. Better rounds, but too heavy to hump, (carry whilst and at the same time marching for y'all POGs) and it didn't carry enough ammo, so they switched to 5.56 and came up with the 16. I even saw some study where they tried using aluminum parts for the 14 to lighten the load, but of course they didn't hold up and were prone to nasty stress failures.

Then of course they compromised it for mass production and it got its lousy rep, but I thought they were great...with the right suppressor, and the improved chambers, and the forward assist, and the drainage holes, and the rail system, and most importantly, decent optics and a heavier grain round. Found them to have very decent penetration, and beats the heck out of humping any gun with heavier ammo. Combat load is 210 rounds, which is a lot of trouble for anybody on the other end. (if that's all that you choose to carry) The 249 shoots the same round, and I'll let that beat the heck out of my knees marching any day of the week. Easy to carry, fun to shoot, and effective.

And then, to completely contradict myself, my choice zombie weapons are the Ma Deuce, claymores (ball bearing kind, not the two hander) (and a killing zone to focus them would be lovely) and for hand to rotting mouth (hand?), a lochber axe or a good ole Lousiville Slugger, with about 3" drilled out and filled with lead, then wrapped in hockey tape. 

Wow who would have thought making a kid a bone crusher for his collection of bladed weapons would lead to the biggest derailed tread in history of public forums LMAO.....

Frosty, if this all goes down I'm heading to Alaska to hang out with you, we can  e cranky together lol! Oh and I'll bring my whole arsenal, we'll have some fun. :)

I don't see how this is a derail Ray, we're discussing zombie "killing(?)" we get this far afield all the time. If the world starts sprouting zombies come on up and bring what you like. You'll need to let the zombies work a while or Canada won't let you through with any weaponry. They're no fun EH.

We didn't wear spurs on our horses except as dress regalia. Give Banjo too much a touch with spurs and he'd aim you at a pile of pucky  he was a good shot. The palomino is Babe and the dog is Trooper.

Banjo and I cir. 67-69

Frosty The Lucky.

Me and Banjo 67-69.jpg

When I was in my early 20's my family went on vacation at a dude ranch and I was required to go as well.  Got a lot of work done on my chainmail shirt as I was the only person my age not an employee.  I used to wear it when trail riding and found out one of the guest horses was an old rodeo horse and had very bad memories of the jingling of spurs; probably PTSD,  jingling that a mail shirt can make as you ride...luckily a mail shirt actually helps keep you in the saddle.  The staff were more upset about it than I was...

Early training sticks with horses all their life Thomas. Reacting to spurs or things that sound like spurs is one of the common ones for rodeo or round up horses. Dad bought Banjo from a ranch after round up. He was a wild horse they'd caught young and used to round up mustangs. Then they sold something like 75 horses and the fellow we bought Banjo from picked up something like a dozen.

Anyway Banjo had some round up horse buttons. If you set him to cut you'd better have a good seat and be ready. He was also dead on for roping and amazingly quick for a horse so short coupled. If you were heading he'd put you right on the steer's shoulder, you could literally drop the noose over it's head. And if you were healing you could just reach down with the noose and rope the heals. 

He also had a wicked sense of humor, loved to pin your foot to the ground by the toe of your boot. Almost never actually stepped on your foot hard. He'd also make a big show of getting his head scratched and would rub it on your chest affectionately. It was a ploy to get his nose below your crotch so he could flip you up and over. The other side to this little joke being you could turn your back on him and say, "saddle me," and he'd scoop you up and slide you down his neck into the saddle. Mind the horn though. :o

Banjo and I had some really good times, I sure miss the horses but times change.

Frosty The Lucky.

CTBlades, I thought we were tracking pretty much on course for this thread, but then I do spend a lot of time with Blacksmiths ;-) I have been involved in lots of conversations about gear reduction that started out about whitetail hunting. Seems perfectly logical to me. Using that logic here I'm hoping that by the time I wake up tomorrow someone has picked up Thomas' suggestion about improvised spurs and worked out a scenario for exterminating Zombies with them.

On 12/9/2016 at 6:11 PM, Nobody Special said:

I've been hearing the old chestnut about wounding the soldier with 5.56 for a long time now, but I think it's up there with the one about breaking horns off anvils in the civil war. If nothing else, consider that a weapon designed to wound directly violates law of war, which is the reason we're still stuck carrying the M9 with the lousy full jacketed rounds instead of something decent.

I think this one has a little more to it though.  In many states it's not legal to hunt anything bigger than a coyote with a 5.56/.223 round because it's not considered powerful enough to deliver a clean kill with a single shot. It's not humane enough for killing animals - think  about that for a second.  When I was handed my first M-16A1 I was really disappointed.  I couldn't believe they would want us to go to war with that weapon.  It has a forward assist because of known issues due to carbon fouling, the cheap plastic grips were originally made by the Mattel toy company, and the round it fires is at the lower end of the "high power" rounds as far as stopping power goes.  Compared to the .30-06 and .308 rifles I was used to it seemed like a bad joke.  We were told that the rifling twist was designed to barely keep the bullet stable in flight and cause/allow tumbling as soon as it hit anything solid, ostensibly to cause extra tissue damage.   Whether true or not, the 300 meter targets we shot had a fair number of holes where it was clear the bullet went through almost sideways rather than point first.  I didn't see it that much on the closer targets though.

In addition, the .458 SOCOM was developed specifically due to complaints that the 5.56 round was requiring multiple shots to neutralize enemies. 

Whether or not the M16 and 5.56mm ammunition were specifically designed to wound rather than kill I do not know. Even though fatal shots can be achieved with far less, it's pretty obvious that the 5.56 round did not have "one shot one kill" as the highest priority in production.  Cheap and lightweight appear to have been far more pertinent to the production and adaptation of that round and rifle.

As for zombies, well my understanding is they prefer brains. My plan is to herd them towards Washington D.C. where they will inevitably starve into non-existence.  Barring that I'd prefer something that shoots the 5.56 round over anything that requires me to get within arm's reach, but I'd probably choose a shotgun/buckshot combination over that.  Are we really even sure precisely which areas of a zombie render them completely immobile? There doesn't seem to be a good consensus among all the zombie shows and movies these days.

One good thing about a zombie bone crusher though - it doesn't run out of ammo.