I Forge Iron

Dragoon leaf and scroll fire place screen with doors

David Kailey

This was a gift to a friend for his 25th wedding anniversary.

Took about 26 hours to forge, assemble and install.

Its outside my normal design and look but I figured hey its a gift so they have to like it.......what better time to throw the dice and play around with something different.

I built it, so I ain't painting their brick. lol

20160902_094923.jpg

20160902_170107.jpg

20160903_095412.jpg

20160903_095417.jpg

20160903_141631-1.jpg

your work shocks me every time Mr. Kailey! you did a very nice job!

Littleblacksmith

You know the more of your work you show us the better I like the way you visualize things David. I don't get the Dragoon part of the name but there's a lot I don't get about art names. The design, work and quality I get though.

I have to agree with Thomas It'd have to have a spark arrester screen or my insurance company would send goons out to break our legs.

Frosty The Lucky.

22 hours ago, Michael Cochran said:

I didn't get the 'dragoon' either but I figured it was because the leaves look similar to dragon wings.

On 11/14/2016 at 5:18 PM, Frosty said:

You know the more of your work you show us the better I like the way you visualize things David. I don't get the Dragoon part of the name but there's a lot I don't get about art names. The design, work and quality I get though.

I have to agree with Thomas It'd have to have a spark arrester screen or my insurance company would send goons out to break our legs.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 11/14/2016 at 3:36 PM, ThomasPowers said:

Is there something smaller behind the expanded metal?  We heat with wood and so our woodstove gets a lot of use and I would like a bit more of a spark screen than just the expanded metal.

I don"t like expanded metal much either..... but bare/stainless 1/4"  screen is very expansive and has to be shipped in it would have cost $125 even if i ordered it online...... again it was a gift and they hardly ever burn anything in the fire place. I already had invested a lot of time and material and just could not afford the smaller screen. but it was just tacked in so it could be replaced easy. The dragoon leaf is taken from the side profile of the head gear dragoons wore as part of their uniform..........I like the shape but had to call it something and "side profile dragoon head gear leafy thingy" just became very laborious and it just kept getting shortened down, down, down.........dragoon leaf......it comes in 3 diffrent textures so stay tuned.......lol.