I Forge Iron

Does anyone know where I can find railroad tracks?

Track down your nearest rail maintmnance yard (mine is just north of Chickasha Ok." And ask about a drop. If you tell the boss what you want it for (not scraping it to buy meth) and bring him somthing you forged on it by way of a thank you, you should have good luck. 

Other drops may be easer to ring that will work, say a 4x4 or a 3" shaft. Some times you can score a 4" drop from plate (circle drops are the bomb, say from cutting 24" circles. Half way to a double horn that way. But honestly a 8-12" drop of 4" would be all the anvil one would ever need. 

A drop is the waste that is cut off  when cutting something to size. If the track people cut 12" from a 20' length of track , that 12" piece is a drop. A circle drop= when a fabricator cuts a 24" dia circle from a plate (a larger slab of steel) the remaining drop has some of the curves that can be used to make an anvil-type horn. What this all comes down to, is to expand your vision when it comes to making your own anvil. A piece of scrap steel 2' or more wide , with enough size in the other dimensions to provide some mass, will make a dandy anvil. The working surface of doesnt need to be much larger than the face of the hammer you're using. RR track is fine, but there are plenty of other options that might be easier to find. There is a thread in the anvil section where JWS made an anvil from a block of steel, 4 or 5 inches sq, by a foot or so long, dress the edges ad desired, and it's a beauty. Take some time and read thru the anvil section - there are other options out there. Then take some time reading thru the rest of the site.

Steve

You may find usable metal at a hydraulic repair shop. Those cylinders get bent and thrown out, or cut to size and the remainder thrown out. 

You will want to find a piece of metal larger than your hammer face and with a mass of 50 to100 pounds or more. Look for inside curves and outside curves if they are available. A truck repair garage (think BIG trucks with multiple wheels) have axles, steering links or knuckles, and all sorts of things that can be used in one way or another. 

Metal is out there and many times free when you ask politely.

Page Steel's scrap yard.  On my days off (if I get one during the week), much to the wife's chagrin, I go see what they got.  Lots and lots of good stuff.  Always something new to see.  If I knew how I would post a google earth image of how large this place is. 

3 hours ago, natenaaron said:

Page Steel's scrap yard.  On my days off (if I get one during the week), much to the wife's chagrin, I go see what they got.  Lots and lots of good stuff.  Always something new to see.  If I knew how I would post a google earth image of how large this place is. 

Page Steel.PNG