I Forge Iron

I bought this anvil today

I bought this 240 lb. Soderfors Paragon Anvil today..   I don't have it in my possession yet, I should have it in about a week then I will thoroughly clean it and post more photos of it.. I think I got a good deal on it at $2.83 a pound.. does anyone have any idea what year it may have been made ?? thanks, JT

s-l1600[1] (5).jpg

s-l1600[1].jpg

s-l1600[1] (9).jpg

s-l1600[2] (3).jpg

s-l1600[1] (6).jpg

s-l1600[1] (8).jpg

s-l1600[1] (7).jpg

s-l1600[1] (10).jpg

thank you Fatfudd ! I was watching it , and after reading as much as I could about these anvils, and mostly very good comments about them I was a little surprised at what the final price ended up at.. kinda made me wonder if I was missing something about it.. JT

I think I hate you JT! . . . Okay, I have the worst of the anvil envy out of my system now. That is one SWEET DEAL! Who cares how old it is you scored a Soderfors for less than $3.00/lb! I don't even see anything to clean up from the pics just put her to work. If you rub the sides with chalk or similar then wipe it off lightly any stamped marks will show better especially if you take the pic with oblique lighting. if it's date marked they stamped it in the side.

Just be prepared to work on one of if not THE finest anvil's made. What a DEAL!

Frosty The Lucky.

thank you for the most part Frosty !! LOL  it really doesn't matter on the age, just curious... I will look closer and try the chalk once I get it home... I was a little surprised  that it wasn't getting the bids like I thought it was going to get... but it worked out in my favor.. JT

Greetings JT,

.            Ya mean your going to hit it with a hammer?  An anvil of that quality belongs in a bank safety box. I have a very large one at my bank and will store it for you at no charge., I see your from Michigan so I will give you a loaner to work on., Nice score.. 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim  / From Lake City and Cadillac

that just might be the best anvil you will ever forge on. prepare to have your hammer fly out of your hands and through the roof when u hit it. soderfors have some REBOUND. i have a 160 lb soderfors and the only thing better would be a 260 lb soderfors. :) congrats on a beautiful anvil. 

12 hours ago, Jim Coke said:

Greetings JT,

.            Ya mean your going to hit it with a hammer?  An anvil of that quality belongs in a bank safety box. I have a very large one at my bank and will store it for you at no charge., I see your from Michigan so I will give you a loaner to work on., Nice score.. 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim  / From Lake City and Cadillac

Thank you Jim Coke !! I'll have to think on that one for awhile !! lol  I see your in Cadillac, I'm down in Saginaw... JT

10 hours ago, Tubalcain2 said:

that just might be the best anvil you will ever forge on. prepare to have your hammer fly out of your hands and through the roof when u hit it. soderfors have some REBOUND. i have a 160 lb soderfors and the only thing better would be a 260 lb soderfors. :) congrats on a beautiful anvil. 

Thank you Tubalcain2 !! and for the warning about the REBOUND !! maybe I should try my first time outdoors so I don't put a hole in my roof !! lol  JT

15 minutes ago, notownkid said:

hope it is well insured that could go astray.  Very nice find and purchase, age ?? most likely qualifies for AARP! 

Hi I don't know the age of it.. and I have contacted him again asking him to add some tie down straps to hold it better to the pallet