I Forge Iron

Finally Finished My RR Anvil Stand

Finally got the chance to pick up the 1" plates for my new RR Rail Anvil stand and finished putting it together this afternoon. I'll probably add some hammer holsters but for now its ready to go.

I cut the bottom plate into the large upright to transfer some of the hammer blow as was suggested and also put a layer of silicone under the plate to reduce the ringing and help save my ears (again as was suggested). Unfortunately I did not receive the track plate that I was suppose to get so I just made some steel clasps and bolted them in to hold the rail in place. Not sure what I will do with the top plate yet but doe now it adds weight to the whole unit. I also drilled in a 3/4" hole in the web to use as a tool holder. Not bad I'd say. Any other suggestions?

IMG_3847.JPG

Looks good. That top plate will make a handy flatter surface for straightening stock after drawing out. A couple or even a row of half inch holes along one edge would give you a pritchel for punching and allow the use of two or more moveable steel pins for bending/scrolling.the hole in the end of the track looks good but doesn't have enough surface area around it to support work while piercing but you have plenty of room on that top plate. I would be proud to forge with that set up.

37 minutes ago, TwistedCustoms said:

Looks good. That top plate will make a handy flatter surface for straightening stock after drawing out. A couple or even a row of half inch holes along one edge would give you a pritchel for punching and allow the use of two or more moveable steel pins for bending/scrolling.the hole in the end of the track looks good but doesn't have enough surface area around it to support work while piercing but you have plenty of room on that top plate. I would be proud to forge with that set up.

Thank you. Yes I do plan on a row of holes of the back edge for punching. I like the idea of steel pins for bending, didn't think of that that would be a perfect set up. 

4 hours ago, JHCC said:

Grind a radius on the vertical web to use as a fuller and a sharp(ish) edge on one side of the base to use as a cutoff hardy.

Yes I have seen both of these suggestions done on a rail. I may do this in time however I am still pondering them ATM. 

4 hours ago, Neal jones said:

Very cool just mounted my rr track anvil on a large piece of log left by the recent hurricane love your setup

Thank you Neal. I have a smaller piece of rail that I cut a horn into and mounted it much the same way you did (actually on the post I used for this one). After researching and some awesome suggestions from the guys here I opted to go vertical and get much more hammer blow rebound. I will still use the other setup for light work but this one should we more suited for daily forging.

35 minutes ago, CTBlades said:

Yes I have seen both of these suggestions done on a rail. I may do this in time however I am still pondering them ATM. 

Thank you Neal. I have a smaller piece of rail that I cut a horn into and mounted it much the same way you did (actually on the post I used for this one). After researching and some awesome suggestions from the guys here I opted to go vertical and get much more hammer blow rebound. I will still use the other setup for light work but this one should we more suited for daily forging.

CTBlades, when you quote a post with pictures, it's best to delete the pictures unless absolutely necessary; they eat up bandwidth. Just a tip.

5 minutes ago, JHCC said:

CTBlades, when you quote a post with pictures, it's best to delete the pictures unless absolutely necessary; they eat up bandwidth. Just a tip.

Yes sir, I tried to get rid of it when I quoted Neal but for some reason I couldn't do it as I am using my phone ATM. I have to use my computer if I want to upload a picture to my post. These phones aren't so smart lol!

55 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

CTB excellent work with what you have. Please add onto this with what you think about forging on it. Nice execution of the before discussion. Great work. 

Thank you Das, I will no doubt add more to this as time goes on. The ideas are endless really. 

That they are :)  you'll find an anvil soon enough tho now that you can forge and bypassed it haha. if not you are still endless in your capabilities with it.

sure wish I started out earlier when I could before I had to have an anvil.  

Happy forging!

Aric

Looks good Ray. I'm glad to see not getting the track plate didn't slow you down. Way to go, we make the tools we need or want. I'm still thinking about the hole in the end of the rail, my gut said "oh NO," but it didn't say why so I'll reserve an opinion till I hear how it works for you.

You've looked at Charles Stevens' rail anvil posts and pics yes? There are a BUNCH of excellent ideas for end mounted rail anvils. She's a fine looking anvil now go beat some poor defenseless steel into submission for our viewing pleasure will ya?

Frosty The Lucky.

7 hours ago, Frosty said:

Looks good Ray. She's a fine looking anvil now go beat some poor defenseless steel into submission for our viewing pleasure will ya?

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you Frosty, yes the plan is to do some heatin' and beatin' today and see how she works. I'll keep you posted!

1 hour ago, Brazer said:

Great looking setup. Looks really heavy duty. Nice work.

Thanks, yes she is a heavy SOB for sure. I don't think I'll break it any time soon lol!

39 minutes ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

One might also consider cutting a hardy hole or two into the top plate for hardy tools, bicks and stakes. 

Yes sir, that is certainly on the "to do"list so for now the hole works. I made this tow ball into a cut off.

IMG_3850.JPG

53 minutes ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

I have been tempted to tap the one on my rail iron anvil and use 1/2" bolts and weld aproriate tooling to them

Yea I thought about tapping this one to use with the tow balls but I think over time the treads would collapse leaving more of a mess. I don't think I'll be grinding to many of these things down lol

Nice job. Got a lump of rail iron I want to stand on end like that, but I was thinking of "sharpening" one of the flanges (? not sure if right term) to make a cut off "built right in" so to speak.. And radiusing the other so it was a nice curved surface to work on for fiddly bits - like a mini horn.