I Forge Iron

Got my first real anvil today

I got me a Fisher today. It's 100#, and looks real nice.

It has the Eagle and wheat on side, marked 100, and it looks like S62 in the casting on one end. Can anyone tell me when this was made?

I have been researching to no avail.  You can see 2 small casting pits  on the step that only go in about 3/16". They are part of its journey in time. I think she is a beauty to behold, and I will take the paint off her and buff her down. Maybe I should just bring her in the house and sit and admire it.

Video 2 0 00 01-09.jpg

Video 2 0 00 10-18.jpg

Video 2 0 00 17-11.jpg

Video 3 0 00 10-08.jpg

Thanks guys. My neighbor saw it yesterday and asked will I be making a lot of noise with it. I am in a partial commercial property, so I said not unless I start working the night shift.  Besides this baby is quieter that the ringing sounds of the rail I was pounding on. I am so happy I found her.

Some will say I paid too much, but I bought what I saw in his ad, and wanted it at first sight. Asking price was $500, I negotiated down to $350, and he delivered to me and set it on my steel bench for me to inspect. I then paid him and I am happy with my purchase.

Naw, not too much if YOU feel good about it. Like any manifestation of the "perfection" myth you can spend forever looking for or trying to make something perfect. She's a beautiful anvil and $3.50/lb might be high some places but it that beauty was advertised around here it'd be sold before the electrons settled in the add.

Oh, the value won't go down.

Frosty The Lucky.

Your anvil was made in the early years of the Crossley time of making Fisher anvils.  The S62 indicates it was made late in 1962.  Your anvil has a nice logo.  Not all Crossley Fisher's had that.  You might have noticed that it is not marked FISHER on the front.  They stopped doing that around that time also.

A bit of history:  the original Fisher plant was located on the waterfront of the Delaware River in Trenton,  In late 1961, the State of NJ used eminent domain to take about a couple of square blocks of land.  They cleared it completely.  One casualty was the Fisher plant.  The gave the operations/materials to Crossley, a manufacturing plant about a mile away in Trenton.  They continued making Fisher anvils until 1979.  In 1979, the EPA shut down the foundry operation due to lack of pollution controls. 

The photo below is of one of my anvils, made in 1942, with the bronze logo stamp used in the mold.  This is probably the same one that did your anvil.  The Eagle is on a Naval anchor, not wheat.  The wheat logo was only used until 1870.  

The black paint on your anvil is probably factory.  You might want to leave it alone.  Just clean the face and horn.  The small casting pits are a non-issue.

IMG_20150405_153734112.jpg

FISHER anvils are not forged anvils. They are American made cast iron/steel top plate anvils. What you have looks like an old engish wrought anvil- plenty good, if you don't grind the face off! 

The anvil's face is like the modern automobile's computer chip- the whole thing doesn't work unless the chip is in good condition, but its small- like the face of the anvil, and grinding it can take 100+ years off a usable anvil. 

Yours looks good, though- its a nice anvil

• 2 weeks later...