Frosty

Naturally Aspirated Ribbon Burner. Photo heavy.

Just a couple of questions on performance - How are people finding the performance of their NARBs compares to a regular T burner? I ask as I'm looking at building a forge that will be approx 7" x 18" cylindrical after the insulation and refractory, giving it a volume pushing 700 cubic inches (it's long I know, and I may cut is down a few inches, I've just been doing long twists lately in a little beginner forge and it's been a long and inefficient experience. I also have long-term pretensions towards blade making).  From what I have read I'd need two 3/4" T burners, but is a NARB efficient enough to enable me to cut it down to just one burner for this sort of volume? I think I read somewhere else that Frosty reckoned a well-tuned 3/4 fed NARB could just about manage it but I'm looking for further opinions/confirmation of this as it sounds like it would be a bit of a stretch and I may be better off with two NARBs. I was wondering if the NARB could be scaled up to use a 1" T burner and drive a larger outlet, but I'm guessing that without a blower this would run into problems with a lack of pressure that I'm not clever enough to work out the maths for or fully understand.

It depends on what you mean by performance. If stability is your measure they're many times as good. That's just an example. I believe they hold pretty close to the basic rule of thumb  ratio for furnace volume to tube diameter. one each, well tuned, 3/4" NA, jet ejector type burner should bring 300 - 350 cu/in to welding temperature.  By that rule of thumb you'll need 2 of them.

However if you don't need welding heat you could probably get away with a longer furnace chamber say for heat treating. Twisting wants near welding heat though, I think you need two of them. 

The diameter of the tube means a lot, output is directly related to the area of the tube cross section.  1" is 2 x the area and output of a 3/4" burner. The numbers say you should be able to pull it off with a single 1" T driven NARB. Just off the top of my head that'd be around 40 crayon dia. outlets from a long plenum.

I'd make the plenum from larger tubing. The 3/4" T driven NARB worked well with 2" sq. tubing but spread out that far a larger volume to length might be necessary. I'm just speculating though, I haven't tried going larger. I'm set up to make 3/4" Ts so its easier to just make two NARBs. That's my set up though, if I were starting out I might tinker a different size to perform for me.

Please keep us in the loop if you give it a try.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the info Frosty, I feel a bit of experimenting is on the cards. I assume a slightly larger MIG tip would be necessary in a 1" tube? I'll order up some different sized parts so I can see what works. The tank I intend using is currently full of propane so i should really hook it up and actually hit some hot metal instead of reading this forum. I'll let you know how it goes when I get round to building the forge.

I ran a 0.045 mig tip in the 1" T I built early on. It was the first successful one I made and looks a lot different. The T was a 1" T so the intake ports weren't larger like the 3/4" x 1" that works so well on the 3/4" burner or the 1/2" x 3/4" on the 1/2" burners. I didn't need nearly that much burner in the forges I was using so I never tinkered with 1" burners again. I'd assume it would work well with larger intake ports. 

The gross changes in these things seem to follow a pretty direct ratio. Make the mixing tube DIA. 50% larger, doubles the output the optimum jet Dia.  (for how I build burners that is) is also 50% larger.

Were I messing with 1" T burners again I think I'd compare 1" x 1.25" and 1" x 1.5" Ts as departure points for developing my version of optimum performance. What works best could be different, maybe at that size the intake ports don't need to be larger. I don't know I haven't played with the things.

Frosty The Lucky.