I Forge Iron

Hammer rack suggestions

Kozzy

We've finally collected enough swages, punches and hammers at the local Ag museum that simply tossing them among the other tools isn't going to cut it any more.  They've asked for a hammer rack to better display them as they would have been worked with years ago.

I can fab up something pretty easily but none of my initial ideas seem to have that "old-timey"vibe that seems to fit well.  I was hoping to see some photos or hear ideas for a rack that would sort of convey the feeling of a dirty old iron working shop that was active from the teens to the 50's...the heyday being about the 40's.  It wouldn't have been fancy but sometimes a tiny tweak makes all the difference in look and feel.

My limitation is that it needs to be free standing.  It's only about 15 hammers right now but room for more would be a good idea.  

Suggestions or ideas?  I always figure it never hurts to ask because you never know when a great idea will pop up out of nowhere.

so, I did a quick google search, and it seems that most of the tong racks were attached to the end of the forge, and occasionally a small array of hammers.

in this pictue though, you can see a hammer and tong rack.

camps_02_375.jpg

Littleblacksmith

I was going to mention that I have made a number of round tong racks using the old steel/iron wheels from wheelbarrows---always pick them up at the scrapyard when I see them.

get a round base that a piece of pipe fits in and the wheels with a solid axle drop in the top of the pipe and you can even rotate it.  Get one with a hollow axle and you have to cross drill the standing pipe and pit a pin and and then a large washer and then slip the wheel over it and you can still rotate it!  (I tend to pick up good basses too for just this type of thing.

Thanks for the suggestions.  In searching images, I did see a couple of the round racks and that seemed appealing to me.  The one Judson posted above has the benefit of holding hardy tools also.  Right now there is only a single hardy cut-off tool in the collection and that doesn't fit either of our anvils. Hardy tools are one thing I wanted to have members keep their eyes out for as they are given permission to pick old barns/farm shops in the future--maybe a way to display them will help with that.

I'm trying to teach staff what kinds of smith-related things to keep their eyes out for in the junk bins and boxes they might run across.  Because people easily recognize wrenches, we seem to have about 50 times more wrenches which people have grabed than anyone would ever need to display.  Everybody grabs wrenches..and more wrenches..and some more. They pass on that ugly hunk of unknown steel that is a hardy tool or specialized "hammer" (punch/drift/swage etc) because it doesn't ring their recognition bell or is just another sledge to them.

2 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

(I tend to pick up good basses too for just this type of thing.

large plow discs work well an go with the theme.or just another larger wheel.

Littleblacksmith

2 minutes ago, littleblacksmith said:

large plow discs work well an go with the theme.or just another larger wheel.

Littleblacksmith

Thanks for bringing that up.  I was pondering what to use as a base and have a couple of old discs that would likely work well.  

my first anvil stand the base was a huge disc plow; I've also seen the smaller ones used as bowls.

Littleblacksmith

Here's a wonderful example from an Austrian smithy that was turned into a hotel.  I think it's important that the rack showcase the smith's talents, and that it's angled so you can see all of the tools hanging there.

As soon as I clear some wall space, this will get moved to the top of the to-do list.

austrian tong rack.jpg