I Forge Iron

Be careful

I was doing some cleaning and bumped this piece of stock off of the bench and it fell into my 5 gallon metal slack tub and punched a perfect hole in it and drained it all over the place until i could get it out if the shop.  What if it hit my foot. I was in sandals because i was just moving stuff around quickly to make room for something that wasn't important. Or so i thought. I could be in the ER now but i got lucky. Be careful in the shop. 

20160701_215028.jpg

20160701_215052.jpg

Trying to make me cringe Kevin? Glad it missed your foot. I'd do a little preaching about now if I didn't run out to the shop in my slippers every once in a while myself and there's enough stuff to fall on a person everywhere. Shoes are a GOOD thing in the shop.

It probably wouldn't have been as bad as it looks, those tin buckets are surprisingly easy to poke holes in and a square corner on a flat end is a surprisingly effective penetrator, think lathe cutter. A foot would definitely get bruised and maybe cut but probably not a hospital ride. Hopefully anyway, feet are pretty resilient. Still . . . .:o

Frosty The Lucky.

You never know.............day before yesterday I went out in my shop (95% taxidermy/5%blacksmithing shop!) to find a real mess, I'd somehow poked a tiny hole in a plastic gallon of foam resin sitting on the floor by my work bench. There was about 80% of the "B" resin from a $60 urethane foam kit drizzled all over my floor. It looked as though I had dropped a scalpel and it had poked through the jug. I have no memory of when it happened. Stupid part about it........I did the same darn thing about 8 months ago. Foam resins ain't cheap. Its even more expensive when your apparently clumsy and dumb.

When I was a kid I dropped a bit of angle on my foot. My father had left it sitting on top of the BBQ table, and I knocked it off and on to my foot.

Hit between my big toe and second toe, just above the gap. Broke the big toe above the knuckle and put a lovely hole in my foot while it was at it, even though I was wearing leather school shoes.

Always mention it when someone says steel caps will protect your feet, no they dont, only the tips of some of your toes!

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 11:14 PM, Kevin_Olson said:

What if it hit my foot. I was in sandals

I never wear sandals at home as we are always doing something outdoors or in a barn or shop.  With stuff dropping or kicking something by mistake(anything in a shop is hard and pointed.)  We also have ticks anywhere outside so just walking 150ft to  the blacksmith shop they can be on your foot and up your pant legs.  Lyme decease or any variation of it isn't fun. 

Had a discussion with my daughter this week, she and my grand kids are visiting from MO and she sent grandson fishing in flip flops and I sent him back for some shoes, she informed me she didn't want  his sneakers to get wet, so I sent him up on the porch with the pole and told him to fish from there about 100" to the brook after 5 min. he showed up with sneakers and yes they got wet when he waded in to get his fish he had gotten.  They dried. 

Glad you didn't get hurt. I grew up in "Beachy" atmosphere wearing flip flops and shorts pretty much exclusively. Since I've moved out to the country I almost never wear shorts or sandals/flip flops anymore, unless I'm not planning to leave the house. Found out early on that Its just not worth it.

I wear sandals in the house---I'm not supposed to go barefoot save in shower or bed and tend to wear german combat boots out side of the house.  Sandals help me keep my feet dry and the combat boots offer protection.  I feel kind of funny at the border crossing with all the folks wearing flip flops in line who drove across and me and my combat boots and long pants having walked across. (The camo broad brimmed hat helps "set" the look...)  Why german combat boots?  They were cheap, US$3, brand new at the fleamarket when they shut down the German army training at the local US army base.  Having big feet, finding boots that fit, I bought 4 pair...

8 hours ago, notownkid said:

"... yes they got wet when he waded in to get his fish he had gotten.  They dried. "

You made me laugh remembering my 90 year old grandmother and a comment she made once.  One of the great grandkids was getting a bit dirty and his Mother was getting all uppity and freaked out about it.  I wish I could do this in Grandma's voice but she shot the Mother an angry look and said "Kids wash off, don't they?".  Nothing more needed.  Kid got to play, Grandma got to watch kid enjoy play.

I tried to remember that whenever I started to get uppity about my own kids getting messy at play.  There are far more important things to worry about than a little dirt (or wet shoes). 

My Mother used to like telling about all the Mothers she'd meet at PTA meetings and around the neighborhood who'd get pretty freaked about their kids getting wet if it rained. They'd run right out collect them and get them all bundled up. My Mother? They'll come in if they get cold. We didn't die of pneumonia either, both of us were healthy as can be till our parts started wearing out. The other kids I knew growing up? Always sick with something or other.

Keeping us, me mostly safe from the world went something like this. "If I have to take you to the hospital I'm going to take the wooden spoon to you when I get you home." Mother NEVER bluffed about the dreaded WOODEN SPOON! AIeeeee! :o

Going rock hounding or fishing with Dad was always an adventure.

Frosty The Lucky.

26 minutes ago, Bud in PA said:

Frosty I thought that my mom was the only one who used a wooden spoon on her kids.

Not hardly, heck Mother didn't limit it's use to her kids either. One Christmas many years ago I saw a T shirt that was just too good to pass up so I got her one. The Art work was sort of Frank Frazetta like. A June Cleaver like lady in a dress, apron, head scarf and heals on a rather heavy duty sort of warlike sled similar to a dog sled but pulled by four polar bears. The polar bears looked REALLY ticked off a BAD expression if you're looking at each other head on you know. Snarling, slavering fangs bared, eyes wild and enraged and one is looking over it's shoulder with a fearful expression. Why you ask?

BECAUSE "Atilla the MOM Keeper of the Dreaded Wooden Spoon" is driving the sled, reigns in one hand wooden spoon in the other, pointing it at the polar bear draft team. AND that stern, no nonsense look of Motherly promise that she simply MUST beat the crap out of you for misbehaving. Oh yes, two smacks from her wooden spoon is a pretty serious crap letting indeed! :o

Frosty The Lucky.

Wooden spoon?  I got the oak meter stick---much thicker and heavier and a bit narrower and longer than a yard stick. Very rare in 1960's USA suburbia but my Father worked at Bell Labs and I suffered the consequences.  I will say I only remember a few times I needed such correction as I was a fast learner!

18 hours ago, Frosty said:

who'd get pretty freaked about their kids getting wet if it rained

I was laughing last night we had gone out to eat for wife's grandson's 10th birthday.  When we came out of the rest. it was raining and 15 people went screaming and running around the parking lot trying to stay dry.  I just walked along normal speed over to the far end and got the car.  After 6 yrs in the Army and standing guard duty in a driving t storm and everyother type of storm living in the rain and wet for a week at a time it doesn't bother me, I will dry and unfortunately never shrink! 

18 hours ago, Frosty said:

Mother NEVER bluffed about the dreaded WOODEN SPOON

I would have asked for the spoon my old man had 2 yrd sticks taped together he used.  I had a small riding crop hanging on a knob in the kitchen and when I reached for that Cats, dogs and kids all disappeared in a hurry. 

20 hours ago, Kozzy said:

There are far more important things to worry about than a little dirt (or wet shoes). 

Amen to that.   

18 minutes ago, notownkid said:

I was laughing last night we had gone out to eat for wife's grandson's 10th birthday.  When we came out of the rest. it was raining and 15 people went screaming and running around the parking lot trying to stay dry.  I just walked along normal speed over to the far end and got the car.  After 6 yrs in the Army and standing guard duty in a driving t storm and everyother type of storm living in the rain and wet for a week at a time it doesn't bother me, I will dry and unfortunately never shrink! 

I dont want to shrink