I Forge Iron

Naw this is not political       And what is meant is, Now is a good time to get Anvils and fly presses from the Uk.   Due to the 'weak ' Pound compared to the $.

Were I in the eastern side of the USA with a few surplus $ I would consider bringing some in! Contrary to popular belief one doesn't need to bring a container load, you can import a few strapped to a pallet in what's called 'break bulk' that shippers add into partially empty containers.

One just needs to  "Do A Deal" with one of our esteemed British members.

Many scrapyards in the uk sell anvils and pressed cheaply . Most smiths have some form of 'strapping' kit and have access to a 'Man With A Van' should they not have suitable transport of their own

Come to think of it! Some say , "A Volvo Station Wagon in the hands of an English blacksmith is equal to a Ford Pickup in the hands of a mere mortal "

As a British member of the forum I feel duty bound to say that rumours of surplus blacksmithing equipment in the UK are slanderous and untrue, we have nothing spare for export.

*spreads his arms wide* move along, nothing to see here.

Now, where to store the bountiful supply of (relatively) affordable anvils?:ph34r:

Thomas, Thomas, Thomas... Obviously you need to go back and retake, Evil Villains and Extortion 101 again.

• 1st hold the world hostage with your evil ( death ray, nuclear weapon, plague, army of zombies, devise designed to sink the British isles, remote controlled asteroid of destruction, etc.)
  • #2 demand that they pack up all of the anvils, post vises, power hammers etc and deliver them to your island.
  • #3 sit back and enjoy the fruits of your nefarious scheme while laughing insanely. ( twirling mustaches having gone out of style along with the dark cloaks at the end of the 20th century)

Sheeze just what is this world coming too... They just don't make evil villains like they used to. The standards have just dropped so low since they discontinued lashings and floggings as a means of incentive.

By the way, just how well does the volcano work for heating stock?

:rolleyes:

3 hours ago, DSW said:

Thomas, Thomas, Thomas... Obviously you need to go back and retake, Evil Villains and Extortion 101 again.

Correction here Thomas is an evil Anvilan :P

And moving such a vast hoard to some islands on the other side of the world may just change the balance of the world as we know it er.... knew it????:)

I was going to make a comment about you running around in spandex and cape with a hammer there Frosty, but spandex would be a lousy material in the forge. 2nd thought was leather, but that gave me a vision I'd dearly love to get out of my head. Maybe if I wash out my eyes with acid it would help... :lol:

48 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Hmm my evil plans to lure minions into my clutches is working well....

Don't forget that every diabolical super villain needs one of those big, black spinny chairs with remote control buttons on the arms :D

2 hours ago, 7A749 said:

Don't forget that every diabolical super villain needs one of those big, black spinny chairs with remote control buttons on the arms :D

That's not a villain that's Jonny rotten and that chair is his 'lazy boy' for the retirement home?:P

BTW. A few years ago the scrappy near Beth(who seems to have gone missing in the wash) had a pile of fly presses. With the 'Cheap' Pound?????

At the fleamarket Sunday I was listening to a dealer rant that the international banks were going to take over and trash the pound/dollar/XYZ and it was the end of the world as we know it and the guy he was talking to should run out and buy a couple hundred pounds of beans and rice as money was going to be worthless.  Funny thing I've been hearing the same sort of spiel for over 50 years now and am still waiting.  Knew some folks who put all their money in silver when the Hunt Brothers first drove the price up to US$50 an ounce and they were very sorry when it went down to US$5 an ounce.

Of course I don't worry about alpacalipses nowadays; as an insulin dependant diabetic I pretty much know how it goes (Back in 1959  "Alas Babylon"  nailed it and most of the SF since then has covered it as well, "Lucifer's Hammer" for instance.)

Anyway; I'll chip in on a container load of fly presses and anvils when the UK sinks beneath the waves...

Thomas Powers.

Check out https://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/diabetes-sniffer-dogs-scent-of-hypos-could-aid-development-of-new-tests. re diabetes development. I cannot P.M. you it doesn't work for me.

SLAG.

Very interesting; My Endocrinologist is pushing for a Continuous Glucose Monitoring system which would give me extra street cred with the Borg...I've had the discussion about lifestyles and how finicky high tech equipment mounted on my body does not play nice with blacksmithing...but resistance is futile...

You would only have to exhale into the unit for a quick readout. Isoprene should easily be detected by a small chemo-electronic device that could fit in your shirt pocket. No more need for the testing of a drop of blood every time. They should be appearing on the market real soon. Isoprene shows up long before major hypoglycemic symptoms would occur

Regards,

SLAG.

Edited by SLAG
added information

Continuous Glucose Monitoring System isn't a drop of blood thing it's attached much like an insulin pump and monitors your blood glucose and sets off alarms when it's too high or too low---really handy if you go low in the middle of the night.

I am used to the ritual of blood and steel---but for kids who are not inured to it;  a method of testing with the breath would be a godsend!

10 hours ago, ianinsa said:

That's not a villain that's Jonny rotten and that chair is his 'lazy boy' for the retirement home?:P

BTW. A few years ago the scrappy near Beth(who seems to have gone missing in the wash) had a pile of fly presses. With the 'Cheap' Pound?????

:lol:

48 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Very interesting; My Endocrinologist is pushing for a Continuous Glucose Monitoring system which would give me extra street cred with the Borg...I've had the discussion about lifestyles and how finicky high tech equipment mounted on my body does not play nice with blacksmithing...but resistance is futile...

Well, look at it like this Thomas....

When you do any HF TIG welding, you may be able to contact extraterrestrial beings from distant parts of the galaxy with that equipment.. :D

11 hours ago, Frosty said:

Lets keep in mind DSW is envisioning minions dressed in spandex and leather, I suppose there are chains and shackles in there too.

Talk about needing mental floss! :o

Frosty The Lucky.

my minion wears bronze bearings in his beard and a leather apron

15 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

I make my Minions wear more than that!

But you possibly don't give them the furry handcuffs either:D in some circles leather aprons and no pants are quite the rage!

My the weather is nice here today...I've volunteered to teach a free into to smithing class after work for the local SCA group Tom said changing the discussion...(I've always found that handcuffs interfered with the minions striking---leg irons however...)