I Forge Iron

Info on this Swapmeet Find? Some type of Vise...

b4utoo

Any info is appreciated...

Well a couple questions about it...it says no oil on screw on vise...does this mean no grease too? 

And it mounts upside down I guess under the table on how  it looks ....

But far as I've gotten.... Just picked it up a few hours ago....

thumbnail_20160625_104513_resized.jpg

thumbnail_20160625_104519_resized.jpg

thumbnail_20160625_104525_resized.jpg

I have one just like it that I mounted flush with the top of one of my smaller steel tables. It's not really designed for heavy pounding, but it is handy from grabbing work  at a lower  height than a bench or leg vise. I mostly use it for holding work for grinding or boring and tapping  when I want to be right next to it and bearing straight down on the tool.

Various tapered wood shims or blocks will enable you to hold tapered or irregular shaped pieces securely and are quick to make to suit the job.

Oil and also grease collect wood sawdust that can bind the vise. They also bind fine metal dust. They can be flammable. Try graphite powder. It's available at any hardware store or auto supply shop. It is cheap.

SLAG.

You are right the vice fastens under the work table. Is is used for various applications when holding wood is essential. Oil is never used on equipment when wood is used because of the stain and/or the absorption of it into the wood. Looks like an older vice seen on work tables in school and private wood working shops. 

kbcshop

The top of the jaws are supposed to be flush with the bench top. The little tab on the moving jaw pops up for pieces wider than the jaws can open. The bench would also have holes that pegs drop into. You then you lay the part on the bench top between the pegs and the jaw tab, and tighten the vise to clamp it. 

this is the first i've heard about graphite powder's in any form...especially as a type of dry "lubricant" ....I have a tractor supply around...will check it out...

Need to feel my grandfather out see if he knows about it (97yrs old) might score some cool points with him...if I show him something he hasn't seen...since its so hard to do...

He just finished a 64 1/2 mustang restore...but he does alot of wood work...and has a simliar vise. Might have bring it over to him..

I really like the look and feel of the old ones, new ones are either cheep feeling or just lack the character and patina of the old ones. 

Then Again I have seen them fitted with long wooden members, making a cheaters wooden leg vice, not as sturdy as a blacksmiths leg vice, but it is nice when you are chiseling something you can't set on the bench proper. 

They are usually fitted with wooden soft jaws for woodworking, mine also has the lever for quick open/close that disconnects the screw.

I did see one used on a vid making a bronze sword and was mounted on end (face uppermost). Caution was needed as it could easily break fingers if allowed to drop closed!

I've not decided if I'll be makig use of mine in the forge or saving it for a later build of a wood shop.