I Forge Iron

I bought a vice......

winebaby

I was wondering if anyone could help identify this vice.  I picked it up at a local flea market for $20 and the markings are hard to read. It has the number 40 on it, which I assume is the size.  From what I can make out, above the 40 and on the lower back side of the jaws is June 1866.  I like to research and know the history of my equipment. I appreciate all your help in advance. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thank you JHCC!  As for the screw and box, I don't know for sure.  I'm afraid to pull it apart as the box does not seem to move, but the screw looks like it's in good operable condition.  I'm going outside to try and clean it up a bit.  

• 2 weeks later...

Well I picked up a couple vise and a stump for the anvil I picked up.... I already posted the anvil and Show me your anvil.....But same guy I got these from...Paid 150 for all 3 pieces since I got such a good price on the anvil and tools.....

Anyone identify these two?

thumbnail_20160610_144233.jpg

thumbnail_20160610_144313.jpg

thumbnail_20160610_144329.jpg

thumbnail_20160610_143930.jpg

Used this on one of them...that was frozen....worked great....took alot of work to get unfrozen...few hammer blows and sprays....knocked it loose finally let it soak overnight then went to work...try it out if you need rust broke free

81TT5KdWHdL._SL1500_.jpg

PB Blaster is great stuff.  Sometimes if you have a nut or bolt that won't give, heat it with a propane torch (not red, but just black heat).  While hot, quickly spray the threaded area with the PB.  Let it set.  It'll smoke and stink, but the liquid will get sucked into the threads and help with the breaking apart task.  Done it many times.

• 1 month later...