I Forge Iron

Help with Anvil ID

I just picked up this used and abused Armitage anvil, any ideas as to age, etc? It feels 100 poundish. Also, how will I go about resurfacing it? It has a pretty good grinder scar about 1/8" deep. I could just use it as is. It has several holes going thru it besides the pritchell and hardie, is it by chance a Mouse Hole?

anvil.PNG

2016-05-02 19.53.49.jpg

2016-05-02 19.53.43.jpg

2016-05-02 19.53.33.jpg

What is the anvil NOT able to do now that resurfacing the anvil allow it to do ??

Use the anvil for a year, and then answer the question. Most likely you will find the anvil works just fine.

The holes beside the pritchel and hardy holes are handling holes used to maneuver the mass of hot wrought iron while it's being forged into the proper shape.

There is no special hole for a "mousehole" anvil it's just stamped on certain ones by Armitage at certain times of their production.

I will just use it then. Wasn't looking forward to attempting a re-surface anyway. Does the   I  .  0  .  6   designate the weight? Might be a "u" or a worn "0"

By the way I went to look at his blown propane forge and ended up getting that and the anvil for $150

Edited by bigb

35 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

1 0 6 should be 118lbs in English hundred weight I believe. Yup. Just use it. Great deal!

Thanks, I just found the calculator on Anvilfire, looks like it is 118! That makes it exactly twice the weight of my 59 lb Swedish anvil. So now I got Small & Medium just need large! Actually 118 lbs should be fine for what I do.

I have around a 100# Trenton and hay budden that have had 3# hammers forged on em. What more do ya need? :) when you build up to BIG work, then you'll have the bigger anvil paid for already.  Forge on!

3 hours ago, John McPherson said:

Quite plainly on the side I see:

M&H

ARMITAGE

MOUSE

HOLE

1  *  0  *  6

When I get to work, I will look up what era that makes it. If you clean it carefully, there should be a small mouse figure between the words 'mouse' and 'hole'.

That stamp, no little mouse, and the presence of a pritchell hole makes it between 1830 and 1835.

One nice thing about the "old english style" anvils is they have a huge sweet spot and so you can do heavier work on them without issues.  The late "American" style anvils with the elongated heel and horn are great for ornamental work but not as good for heavy work.  Obvious thing to do is own a dozen each of various sizes...(Is my wife standing behind me with a large frying pan????)

Note that the weight on a calibrated scale may be a couple of pounds off; but in the general ballpark.

After cleaning with a soft brass brush it is a bit easier to see. I don't see a mouse though, unless it is that shape to the right of "MOUSE". Would the mouse be raised or stamped? That shape to the right is raised.

2016-05-03 17.13.25.jpg

Got her cleaned up a bit, there was a lot of caked on grease mixed with dirt like you find on an old engine. She has definitely been used hard over the years. I am still amazed though that I got her for what amounts to less than $1 per pound, real hard to find anvils around here that are not gold plated.

2016-05-04 19.41.24.jpg

2016-05-04 19.42.00.jpg

2016-05-04 19.41.34.jpg

Hello, new to blacksmith type work although i have a home machine and welding shop, i collect old engines, and have a Diamond T pickup i want to get on the road if I live long enough. I was given an old anvil. It has no pricheal hole and looks like colonial style anvils i see on this site and others. It is stamped BRADLEY with what appears to be FOSTER above that although i am only able to make out the O, maybe an E and the R.. Has an anchor mark below the Bradley. Has 1  0  20 stamped on the other side. 132 pounds  i guess. Curious as to age and any history on Bradley. Were they connected to Foster ? Tried loading pictures but didnt work.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header folk won't have to try remembering where you said you live. We aren't going to remember once we open another post.

It's a good thing if IFI members within visiting distance know where you are. It makes hooking up with folk a lot easier, you'll learn more in an afternoon with an experienced blacksmith than days or weeks on your own.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...

Bringing this post back to say I ball bearing tested the Mouse Hole anvil today with a 3/4" bearing. I got varied results depending on what area I tested with about 2/3 of it barely over 50% rebound but near the horn I got about 70%. Also tested my little 58 lb Swedish anvil and it was a good 85- 90% everywhere I tested it.

Funny my results were right in line with the same anvils tested by Anvilfire.

On 6/26/2016 at 6:12 PM, bigb said:

Bringing this post back to say I ball bearing tested the Mouse Hole anvil today with a 3/4" bearing. I got varied results depending on what area I tested with about 2/3 of it barely over 50% rebound but near the horn I got about 70%. Also tested my little 58 lb Swedish anvil and it was a good 85- 90% everywhere I tested it.

Funny my results were right in line with the same anvils tested by Anvilfire.

Not so funny, the guys at Anvilfire are a good bunch, I just can't handle more than one forum since the accident or I'd be yakking on a few. My Soderfors rebounds in the 95% +/- a couple% everywhere, least is right on the tail end.

Frosty The Lucky.