I Forge Iron

To "repair" an anvil?

Hay everyone, several years ago my grand father handed his old anvil that he had gotten from his father over to me. What looks to be an old Peter Wright. As of two year ago I started putting it to use, making knives here and there and just generally fixing things. Also coming up in a few weeks I have a booth for a local farmer's market that I'd like to include hand forged items in. One thing that's always bugged me about it though is the lack of any square edges. All of it is 1/4-1/2" radius where its not been chipped and its been a trial just to make tongs. I know a lot of you will just say use i as it is but it would be nice if I could get at least one edge square for at least a few inches. Anyways, pictures down below, let me know what you all think.

0422161132_HDR.jpg

0422161133a_HDR.jpg

0422161133f_HDR.jpg

0422161133g_HDR.jpg

0422161134_HDR.jpg

0422161134a_HDR.jpg

0422161134d_HDR.jpg

0422161134f_HDR.jpg

0422161135_HDR.jpg

0422161135a_HDR.jpg

0422161136a_HDR.jpg

repairing an anvil can cause more damage than it fixes, why not make a hardy tool with square edges.

get a bit of fork lift tine and drill a hole in the middle, fit a square peg in the hole and weld it flush on top, the peg should be a reasonable fit in your hardy hole.

now you have 4 new edges that you can leave sharp or give smaller radiuses to without causing problems to your anvil

Those edges are great! What are you talking about?

1/4" radius is just fine for setting down any kind of tool -- sharper than that, and you're creating a stress riser that can easily cause the tool to break when you least expect it. If you really need a sharper edge than that, the suggestion from John in Oly and the iron dwarf is good: make a block to fit in the hardie hole.

(Oh, and Welcome to IFI! If you put your location in your profile info, you'll be surprised how many of us there are in your area. One other tip: make sure to thoroughly research any question before you ask it. Sometimes new members of the forum ask questions that have been asked and answered dozens of times, and our resident curmudgeons get a little cranky having to address them all over again!)

Thanks for the quick replies and if 1/4" radious is good perhaps I've been working with too small of stock this whole time. And the hardy tool is probably the way to go if I do want sharper edges on occasion. Is there anywhere online I'd be able to get a chunk of forklift tine? Going to scrap yards is somewhat difficult as the closest real one is probably 2 hours away. I'm out near Astoria, OR

Any farms out there?

Practical Blacksmithing;Volume 1, published in 1889; page 110: "For my own part I am satisfied not only that the sharp edges are useless, but that they are also destructive of good work. I cannot account for their existance except as a relic of a time  when the principles of forging were but little understood. I want both edges of my anvil rounded, not simply for a part of their length, but for their whole length."

Also, if you *REALLY* feel you need a sharp edge, why not just do a little grinding on one side of the cutting table instead of the face? Or perhaps on the bottom of the anvil? The whole thing is the tool, and a really clever smith can use more than the face and horn to make what he needs. There is no reason to grind or weld on the face- all that does is lessen the life by softening or removing the hardened top plate. 

There's nothing wrong with that anvil, attempting to "repair or restore" it will do nothing to make it a better working tool and worse it will risk serious damage and at least shorten it's useful life.

It even has a perfectly radiused edge near the horn. That beauty only needs to be put to work, some hot steel and hammering will put a shine on her face and smooth the little marks.

Please don't damage that fine old lady.

Frosty The Lucky.