I Forge Iron

What are these? Can I turn them into knives?

TheoRockNazz

Yep, scrapers. Since you have a nice set there I would not make knives out of them. Anyone doing work with babbit bearings for power hammers and such could use them for final fit up. The Cincinnati centerless grinder which is still the standard of the industry uses babbit bearings. They can also be used for scraping in ways on milling machines. Those are the tools that make the little feathery marks on machine ways, and tables. 

Nice find.

Greetings Theo, 

Backup the truck, . The value of them as a set far exceeds that of new steel for knife making..  If you do not want to keep them just put them on EB .  It's like taking a new Snap On wrench to make a leaf. 

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

I would like to put those back to work as scrapers.

Whatever you do, please don't turn them into "knives", because they are already the Ultimate Knives, in a fitted case, no less.

Robert Taylor

Edited by Anachronist58
addition

Oh Frosty, alright already! These have darkened up quite a bit, since I put this coat rack up 15 years ago. These locust pegs were turned on the '34 Southbend, aforementioned (duh wuns wit duh wabbits). I was making the pegs from dowel rod, but ran out, three pegs short. So, I went to the wood stove, grabbed a 1-1/2" dia piece of locust, and turned the last three pegs. The back plate is re-milled pallet oak.   

I am now growing locusts for shade and lumber (hammer handles), they grow like weeds here.

Robert Taylor

20160410_112020.jpg

20151206_173719.jpg

Edited by Anachronist58
spelling

When we closed our Auto Dealership I knew there was a full set of King Pin bushing Reamers for model; T's & A's and many  other early cars in the  tool room in big wooden box they are now in my shop.  I'm sure I could have ruined then by now doing something they weren't made for, but know I'll find a home for them one day.  just like your box don't spoil something that unique find them a home.  There are plenty of worn out files around to make knifes out of.  

I'll never understand this fascination with making knives out of mystery metal when good alloy is so incredibly cheap.  A complete boxed set of scrapers.... that's money!  Even if you don't want them, find them a good home where they'll be appreciated and used for their intended purpose.

1 hour ago, VaughnT said:

I'll never understand this fascination with making knives out of mystery metal when good alloy is so incredibly cheap.  A complete boxed set of scrapers.... that's money!  Even if you don't want them, find them a good home where they'll be appreciated and used for their intended purpose.

For the most part, it's because "reclaimed metal" adds value for a lot of people; I can sell a file knife easily when I inform the buyer that it's a reforged Nicholson 

It's a perception thing. Anybody can make a thing out of store bought materials but using reclaimed materials as panache. What sells is what the customer wants, not what's best.

How about this for perception, I'll bet a bladesmith could make babbit scrapers from reclaimed knives and sell them for a mint, talk about REcycling for fun and profit!

About the chatoyant locust, I thought you were talking about bugs that go well with milk and honey.

Frosty The Lucky.

That's what I wanted you to think, Mr Lucky. In another recent thread, I was sure you mentioned going on a quest for chatoyant wood, though I have not been able to find it. Dose wascowy wocusts!

Aso for why anyone would convert unfamiliar objects - well, I could show a thousand people that box of scrapers, and I would be delighted if even ONE person knew what they were good for.

Like Mr. TheoRockNazz, I only need to be informed of what a truly magnificent score these mysterious things are, and then I will be able properly venerate them <wink>

Robert Taylor