I Forge Iron

? about what kind of metal

I am new to all of this and trying to get my boys off on the right foot. I have a bunch of torsion bars from 4x4 trucks, leaf springs from diesel trucks, u-bolts, and a lot of old bearings from hay disk mowers. I just don't know how to find out if its good metal for blades. Any info would be great. 

here is my "any info" You don't want to hear this but I begin my students with simple hammer techniques like draw-out. They want to make knives like everybody, but can't draw 1/4 inch square stock let alone 1/4 round stock.

That is what I started with and could not make an S-Hook.

when the point arrives to practice knifes you can use most anything from the start. It won't matter the composition as the knife will be experimental. Get some quality steel for an actual finished project. Some like old files. 

if you read the stickys (threads that have been pinned to stick to the top of the page) in each of the sub sections, you will get the most important  useful posts of that topic,   If you ignore the pinned threads and ask a question that has been answered already in those sticky , don't be surprised if you get treated rudely. there are a hand full of questions that get asked for each topic repeatedly, so we covered them there.   We get annoyed  when people ignore the answers and people refuse to look for themselves.

We understand it takes time to settle in,  but you have been a member for almost a year now, start reading !!

The basic answer to your question is: Yes, No, Maybe---depending on information you didn't include.  So, much of that stuff will be useful in the future but is not  necessarily "learning material".  

You may want to read up on junkyard steel *testing*; not junkyard steel lists; as most of those I have read have some real whoppers of misinformation in them.  Learning how to test scrap for "bladeworthiness" is a good skill to have although most of the Pros will suggest you get known good alloys if you plan to sell any blades. (very disheartening to spend 16 hours on a blade to find out the leaf spring had internal micro cracking from abuse which showed only when you did the heat treat...)

This theme does seem to repeat endlessly.

And it seems to me, that the majority of newcomers become interested in the craft, based on what they can "get" from it.

This is pretty basic human nature stuff, ... "Wouldn't it be cool to have a big honking knife that I made myself".

And it would, ... No argument there,

The end result is a desirable object.

And for a lot of folks, that's as far as it goes.

But obviously, for those who get past the initial appeal, it's actually a learning process.

Ultimately, what you "get", is the knowledge and skill to make anything you choose. And that is a particularly satisfying state of affairs.

Certainly, for me, that satisfaction and the accompanying confidence, are the true reward.

If it was really about knives, ..... We'd all go buy a Ginsu, and save a lot of hassle and sweat.

Learn stock removal on purchased blanks, then learn to blacksmith, then buy proper steel to forge blades. Once you've learned these skills sets you'll only need to learn a couple more skills sets to evaluate found steels, work and heat treat them for blades. Trying to learn several skills sets at once is setting yourself for failure without the knowledge and experience to be able to tell what went wrong.

Set yourself up for success instead, you and the kids more likely to continue and become proficient blacksmiths and bladesmiths.

Frosty The Lucky.

Sorry about asking the stupid question. I guess I cant figure out the search feature. I don't swing a hammer, I am a disabled Vet fell from a heilo and broke my back and 12 pins later no hammer for me. But my boys really like doing this. And if you live off of a VA check you will try to find ways to get your kids what they want (need). My oldest one is more of the art type he makes all kinds of stuff with metal, but the middle one want to make the knifes. But I will do as much reading as I can. living in the country with nothing but dial-up its a long process. So reading for me from now on.

Troy Ray thank you for your service and your sacrifice!!! You make our life right and livable. I wish you all were closer to Nebraska.

Again thank you!! I know it is not much more than words and it does not help your kids. If there is any help I can give I will you gave your life and skills  for me to be abl to do what I want.  This goes to all vets.  

Steve Sells has written a good book "Introduction to knife making" that your son may find valuable. Frosty's comments of stock removal and learning to blacksmith also have a lot of merit.

Just because you are injured doesn't mean you can't do some of this. Things like a power hammer or hydraulic press can solve the hammer problem. Things to keep in mind in the future. You might also look around and see if there aren't some local groups you and your sons can join. Maybe you can locate a local member who can give them some hands on experience.

No honest question is dumb. Thank you for serving we owe you our nation, I'll do what I can. If you don't mind me asking how disabled are you? disregard if it's none of my business. The reason I ask is there are alternatives to swinging a hammer in your hand from treadle hammers to home built power hammers that run with a treadle or lever to engage a clutch.

Pick up a copy of "The Complete Modern Blacksmith", by Alexander Weygers. It's one of the best boot strap yourself a blacksmith shop, forge the tools and build a machine shop to make the tools to carve stone, wood, etc. He was an artist who traveled the world but couldn't pack his carving tools so he made them where ever he found something he wanted to carve. A very ingenious man who wrote a series of how to books on the subject. you don't need "real" blacksmith tools, an eye for scrounging some imagination and ingenuity will set you up a treat.

Frosty The Lucky.

I am 100% with 2 surgeries and a fusion. I have some nasty nerve damage. I get out and help when I can just not a lot I can do. And I love doing it, Im not very good at it but know some stuff. I have looked at power hammers but $2500 is just out of the question. Its sad because it helps me deal with things clears my mind. 

Also look for "The $50 Knife Shop";  I used to live in NW AR and in Central OK; My first triphammer cost me US$75 for a 25# Little Giant, my second one was $250 only when I got to Ohio did I find the prices high---paid $750 for a Champion #1 in use.   read up on the TPAAAT and apply it to blacksmithing tools.  You got kinfolk in AR?  Someone should know someone who has a cousin with a bunch of junk in what used to be great grandad's old barn...Ask everyone you meet at the VA, church, etc...

If you watch the videos about Japanese swords, the master holds the stock with tongs while two younger folk do the heavy work.  Maybe you can do the same.  So what if you are new and not a master.  You heat the steel, grip with the tongs and one or both kids start hammering when you get it to the anvil.  Trade off when you get tired. you are still spending time with them, Still smithing, Still being active, still getting griped at by the wife for stinky smelly clothes and shirts with burn holes in them.

Yep the search function on this site is a real big PIA.  Not to mention all of the lost pictures that go with some of the important content.

Don't trust the thread that says "All stickies are here".  They aren't.  It takes some searching, and learning your way around.  Here is what I have started doing.

go to google

type: iforgeiron.com in the search bar and hit enter

You should get a link to the site and a search bar underneath type what you want and it will search IFI

Search the site this way.

Good Morning, Troy

To answer your original question, Any of those objects could be used to make a Blade (I won't say Knife). The material that you start with is not the whole answer to make a Blade. Many people want to make a Blade or a Sword (has to be like a Japanese Sword too) as a first project. This is an absolute positive failure, in process. To run, you must learn to walk first. To Forge, you must learn fire management, Body management, Hammer to Eye Control, Tong Control BEFORE you can expect to produce anything other than Scrap. Do not start with Re-Bar, it will lead you down a path and then break. Learn to make all kinds of little things, S-Hooks, Coat Hooks, Harness Hooks, Leaves (Look at nature, No two leafs are the same). Use some of the material you have, to start making Tools. By making your own Tools, you will also begin to Learn the Process called Forging. Do not be afraid of looking at your pile of "BISH" (Rubish or Scrap Pile), You will learn as much from seeing what did not work as well as well as what worked.

I use a container of "Play-Doh" to figure out how to make something. It works/manipulates exactly like Steel, except you can hold it in your Hands and use your fingers as a Hammer. When you make something in Play-Doh, you can scrunch it up and make it into the size of the material you have to start with, Now you know How Much Material You Need!! K.I.S.S.

The Biggest Notion you need to remember, is "Square, Octagonal, Round" "SOR". This is one of the ABSOLUTE RULES you need to Learn. When you are drawing out material, whether it is round, square, rectangular or whatever, Forge it Square (ish) FIRST. Your Hand/Wrist that is holding your material, can turn a quarter turn, Turn clockwise 1/4, then counter-clockwise. When you have drawn it down to the rough shape, Now go on the square points to make it Octagonal. It is still a quarter turn, but 1/8 turn from the square. Now tap the flats to make it round. This works for 1/4" material or 12" material. The same by Hand or with a Power Hammer or Press.

Start with little Steps, You will lear how to Run!!

Enjoy the Journey, there is no final Destination.

Neil

12 hours ago, Troy Ray said:

I am 100% with 2 surgeries and a fusion. I have some nasty nerve damage. I get out and help when I can just not a lot I can do. And I love doing it, Im not very good at it but know some stuff. I have looked at power hammers but $2500 is just out of the question. Its sad because it helps me deal with things clears my mind. 

I get the nerve damage bit, I'm a TBI survivor I was pretty lucky though. I'm still nothing like as good as I was before the accident, accuracy is poor, stamina is . . . Okay sitting in front of the computer or TV doesn't help. Nerves heal and reroute though we'll probably never be like we were in our 20's. :rolleyes:

NAH, you don't need to spend that much for a power hammer if nothing else you can build one pretty reasonably. Give the TPAAAT a shot, it works for anything you're looking for not just anvils.

Are you familiar with how an Oliver hammer works? The basic idea is a big sledge hammer on a pivot with a return spring and a foot treadle positioned over the anvil. A true "Oliver hammer" is a brand name, more complex and more effective than I described but it's a decent image. An Oliver adaptation can be used from a wheel chair and yes we've helped brainstorm smithies for folk in wheel chairs.

Blacksmithing is a very meditative craft, it's good therapy for the soul. I don't recall who but there is (an IFI member I believe) fellow who offers his shop, tools and instruction to Vets who need some good productive therapy. A few of our current members in the Alaska club are Vets who take a great deal from blacksmithing besides making cool stuff.

Blacksmithing teaches you control. Being able to make the steel dance to your tune means you have to make microscopic adjustments in milliseconds while delivering power, managing heat and avoiding injury. It's a complex dance that needs to become reflex to become good. The thing is, before you can control any of the many factors you have to control yourself. Blacksmithing puts a person in the zone and it's a zone where little else can intrude, one of peace and control with satisfying results.

There's no reason you can't enjoy time at the anvil, not one WE can't whip between us that is. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.