I Forge Iron

Tong jaw keeps breaking

the_mad_hammer82

Are you quenching them while hot in water? Could be hardening the steel causing it along with having sharp corners. Could be a number of causes but with out pictures and knowing the exact process you are using its hard to say. If you could elaborate on how you are making them and post pictures of the broken tong clearly showing the whole part in question you can get better help. 

Help us to help you. :) 

Rebar could be about the worst for something like tongs as it is poor steel made to be buried in concrete. It can work for some things and I use it for leaves or feathers or s hooks but wouldn't trust it for tongs. Not saying it couldn't work but for the time spent on making tongs it isn't worth the gamble. 

I wouldn't quench when making tongs it makes any steel a bit more brittle at least you would be better to lay the piece on the ground to cool more slowly. 

looks like a combination of steel choice, sharp edges and quenching are your issue. Sharp edges cause areas of stress. 

Mild steel should work for most small to moderate sized tongs, say, 14" - 17" overall in length.  You might be working too cold. In "The Blacksmith's Craft," they forge each shoulder beginning at a welding heat, not because they are welding, but rather so the work goes faster and the metal is easier to move. Don't try to move or bend the steel at a dark red or black heat. You'll be looking for cracks.

Hard to see from the photo but the break looks nice and clean, however it looks like I can see where the break has started from the small grey edge leading into the fracture. 

Radii are you friend here.  Avoid sharp internal corners where your jaw meets the eye.  When you have finished your tongs normalise the whole thing as best you can.  (ie take to a blood red viewed in subdued light and allow to cool in still air)  One point to make about allowing to cool after normalising is make sure you put it where there is no air currents, it needs to be still air,  eg don't sit them in the doorway.

We normally make all our forging tongs from mild steel or 1045.

Phil

1018 is "fancy" it has a much stricter spec on it than A36 If you are not paying extra for it you should always assume you are working with A36 unless *proven* otherwise and the word of the sales guy doesn't count as I've had a lot of them tell me "mild steel" and then admit A36 when pressed. (No I didn't use a dwarf press...)

Good Morning,

Forget the magic wand, It doesn't happen. Make your Tongs from Mild Steel, NOT re-bar!! When working with Hot material, mild steel won't harden and crystalize.

K.I.S.S. Keep It Stupid Simple!! The biggest mistake when starting out is to not have your material hot enough, or, Hitting it too hard when cooled down.

Neil

All good points. To add to what Phil said, you need to dress the working edges of your anvil.  Ideally you have several different radii along both long edges of your anvil.  If it isn't yours to dress, or you want to wait till you are more comfortable with the idea...  Just make a hardie block with 2-4 different radii, it will help you with this, and it is useful for stems and necks on other projects. Using half faced blows on too sharp an edge will get you a coldshut/stress riser.  I am a big advocate of softer transitions in tongs, the sharp transitions look good to our eyes, but they don't work nearly as well.  Form follows Function, and it don't matter how pretty it is if it don't work, or it won't last...