I Forge Iron

Blacksmith Superstitions

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is just me of course but I don't think the fire is evil and the whole devil thing falls under the BlacksmYth heading. Specifically the blacksmYth a weld won't take because there's something wrong with the: flux, fire, fuel, forge, anvil, horn direction, phase of the moon, etc. The evil devil is operator error.

The devil IS in the details.

Frosty The Lucky.

This is just me of course but I don't think the fire is evil and the whole devil thing falls under the BlacksmYth heading. Specifically the blacksmYth a weld won't take because there's something wrong with the: flux, fire, fuel, forge, anvil, horn direction, phase of the moon, etc. The evil devil is operator error.

The devil IS in the details.

Frosty The Lucky.

Or to quote Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

4 hours ago, JHCC said:

Or to quote Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

I suppose you could Finagle that in there. ;) The first place I heard that one is in a Heinlein story but didn't know it had a "proper" name so to speak.

Cool. Frosty The Lucky.

13 hours ago, Frosty said:

I suppose you could Finagle that in there. ;) The first place I heard that one is in a Heinlein story but didn't know it had a "proper" name so to speak.

Cool. Frosty The Lucky.

It's known as Hanlon's Razor, but "Hanlon" may indeed be a corruption of "Heinlein". The earliest known version of the same sentiment appears in the work of Goethe.

Googling it showed no record of Heinlein associated. It was credited to a Robert J. Hanlon. So of course I just now read a little deeper and see that cite  remarking about the amazing coincidence to it's appearing about the same time as "Logic of Empire" by R.A. Heinlein, 1941.

Drats, now neither of us think we might know. :blink:

Frosty The Lucky.

On 17/02/2016 at 3:29 PM, MarcyOHH said:

After visiting a friend's forge in January he has been "cursed" and unable to forge weld. This got me thinking, are blacksmiths like pirates and highly superstitious? If so, what are some of your superstitions when it comes to the art?

Blacksmiths are very like pirates.......or so they like to think.

I always feed a new smelt a little whisky when its lit, keeps the forge spirits happy (or tipsy)

7 hours ago, basher said:

Blacksmiths are very like pirates.......or so they like to think.

I always feed a new smelt a little whisky when its lit, keeps the forge spirits happy (or tipsy)

You feed baby Smelts whisky? I'm not a fan of Smelt, they're too oily for my taste but maybe if they're whisky pickled. Too bad Smelt don't run here I wonder how it'd work for Grunion? hmmmmm.

Share the recipe?

Frosty The Lucky.

11 hours ago, George Geist said:

Only 2 things a blacksmith can go to hell for.........Hitting cold iron and not charging enough.

Also plenty of other bad luck things like hats on beds and so forth. Best not mess with such things:o

Don't tempt the fates is always a good policy.

Frosty The Lucky.