I Forge Iron

Dodo bird

Just a quirky bird I made.  I know it's not an actual dodo but it's goofy enough that the name fits I think. It has spikes in the feet to stick it in the ground.

I tried springs on the neck and they gave me a lot of trouble. I found that welding on the head with the body grounded caused the spring to heat up and deform. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ha Ha! I like the way that chook is looking across at your bird!

I see you have used the old plough blade for wings and radiator fan blades for tail trick! It's amazing how some scrap pieces always seem to find a place isn't it? I depend heavily on horse shoes for wings. They look like engine valves for the crest. The face has a prehistoric look. Well, I guess dodos are history now anyway.

Springs do add movement, but you're right; they are tricky things to weld and one slip and they're zapped. I find short jabs with the mig is the best way. You can curve the spring to a neck shape with careful application of oxy.

I like your idea of the spikes on the bottom of the feet to provide a ground anchor. I usually make the feet way oversize so they free stand.

Looking at that bird's head again, I think you may like to try making a pterodactyl.

7 minutes ago, Bud in PA said:

Have the chickens stopped laying?:)

They pretty much had and have started laying more again in the past week or so. out of 17 hens i was getting 2 to 3 eggs a day. it's been increasing back to more normal now.

3 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

They pretty much had and have started laying more again in the past week or so. out of 17 hens i was getting 2 to 3 eggs a day. it's been increasing back to more normal now.

My neighbors chickens stopped laying. Maybe I'll try to weld up something scary, to scare the eggs out of them.

2 minutes ago, Michael Cochran said:

Not to hijack but my chickens just started layin again and I can't imagine why, unless it's just the weird weather goin on here.

I like your bird there and as many posts as I've seen from you and aus I'm debating on tryin to make something from scrap. No idea what yet but I'm thinkin lol.

from what i've read chickens lay less with less daylight.  should increase as the days get longer. sometimes younger chickens might push through and continue laying. 

Go for it on the scrap art Michael. I love seeing what people come up with.

4 minutes ago, Bud in PA said:

My neighbors chickens stopped laying. Maybe I'll try to weld up something scary, to scare the eggs out of them.

Lol Bud. It cant hurt. tho mine started laying more before i made this. tell your neighbor to put a light on a timer in the coop to extend their daylight. it might help.

It's an old farm trick to have the lights on a timer so the chickens get two days per day. I don't know if it'll double production but it's said to really increase it.

Pretty cool bird though I think Dodos were short necked and round. Ground birds IIRC.

Welding springs can be tricky for sure. If you're just anchoring the ends try drilling a hole in whatever you're sticking it to and plug weld it from the other side. If it needs to be a strong weld or maybe large string you can lay it in a water bath so only the area being welded is out and dry to keep the heat localized. I've gotten away by wrapping wet rags around outside the weld zone.

Frosty The Lucky.

this year was the first year production dropped this low and with the warmer weather I didnt get the heat lamp hooked up in the coop like in the past couple of years. that could have been part of it. I never ran a light trying to get more production, just trying to keep the birds warm in the winter.

Thanks Frosty. I have heard that trick before and hadnt thought of it while i was struggling. i'll keep it in mind for next time since i have a few projects i'll be using springs on again.

9 minutes ago, matto said:

We keep warm water around to keep chickens laying in the winter.  If we stop no more eggs.  Start again and about a week normal laying.

after alot of struggling with ways to keep water thawed i wound up using one of those theraputic heating pads under the waterer and a heat lamp above it. works great.

2 minutes ago, matto said:

That is what we do to.  Your dodo is good to get the rooster to checking his turf like that.

He tends to his hens well. he finds food and calls them over and offers it to them. no doubt he was checking out his Percieved competition. :) 

Daswulf ...... Setting up a simple light, controlled by a timer, solves the problem of waning sunlight. The same silver reflector lamps used for brooding chicks work well for winter light. A nine-watt compact fluorescent bulb is all that’s needed for a typical backyard coop. Plug the light into a timer and have it come on early enough in the morning to give the birds 15 hours of daylight, and egg production will be improved through the shorter days of winter.

Thanks Coldironkilz. I plan to get that set up for next year. I already have a fluorescent light hooked up in there all I'd have to do is plug it into a timer. (have a few of those too.) just didnt get around to it this winter, but egg production is back on the rise and it didnt hurt me to give the hens a lil break this winter. for some reason my egg buyers slow down in the winter as well.  I'll be getting a new batch to add to the flock this spring as most of my hens are getting to be 3 years old.

22 hours ago, Bud in PA said:

Nah, just lean the axe against the chook run door and they'll get the message!

22 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Co-incidence Das! We have 17 chooks too. Only a couple of eggs a day lately. They don't like the heat. And a few of them are pensioners. We should cull a few but my wife says they've given good service and they deserve to live out their lives, albeit unproductively.

4 minutes ago, ausfire said:

Co-incidence Das! We have 17 chooks too. Only a couple of eggs a day lately. They don't like the heat. And a few of them are pensioners. We should cull a few but my wife says they've given good service and they deserve to live out their lives, albeit unproductively.

LOL

Heat is rough on em too. try Ice chunks in the waterer.  I've culled roosters as they were just too aggressive and no one seems to want em. Havnt done any hens yet, but It's not too hard on em if done right and sometimes they dont grow old gracefully. I watched some "humane" videos on the subject early off in raising them and it dosnt feel like it would be hard for me. Everybody is different. 

I have 13 total 7 hens and 6 roos. My wife won't eat them if I cleaned them so I haven't taken the time yet but I do need to thin out the guys so I don't have to worrying bout surprise eggs. My wife found a couple last year and it put her off comin and eatin eggs for a few weeks. 

No, nobody wants a rooster for anythin around here either.

The one I cleaned and she cooked she didn't even touch it. She put store bought on one side of a pan and yard bird on the other put it in the oven. When it was done she eat the store bought on the far side away from the one I got outta the yard lol. Next time I clean the I'll  time it right whenever he buys a some whole fryer chickens and I'll put the yard birds in the freezer right next to them so that she won't know the difference :)  I personally thought the yard bird was better than store bought with a nice clean flavor, the texture was not what I expected at first but that's cause I didn't think about the lack of steroids and the fact that my chickens run around a lot more than the ones at the store ever did.