I Forge Iron

Dodo bird

Those eggs are definitely the best eggs I've ever had. My chickens eat great too, I feed the cracked corn as well as fresh veggie scraps/peels and a purina feed. I also have things scattered around the yard (large rocks and strategically placed plywood) so that during the warmer months I can go and harvest fresh worms and beetles and crickets. They love crickets and beetles much more than they do worms but I'll get them whatever I can. Some might find this gross but I have in the past left somethin outside to breed maggots and they love those too. My wife was disgusted but like I told her its protein which is good for them and the eggs and ultimately it's good for us and there's an added benefit of it bein free food :) 

4 hours ago, Michael Cochran said:

Lol, I'm sorry I derailed the topic. I don't get to talk to people often who appreciate yardbirds. Most of the people I know only wanna talk about how 'nasty' they are and won't even think about the benefits.

I like those birds, aus, how big are they?

I wasn't serious about derailing the topic! I reckon it's good these discussions go where they will. My junk birds are roughly life size ... maybe more bantam size than Rhode Island Red.

I haven't heard the term 'yardbirds' before. We just call them free range chooks and they get to wander round the paddocks getting grasshoppers and beetles and anything else they fancy. We have a couple of chooks that lay blue eggs. Our 17 comprise a mixture of breeds, ages and laying capacity. Our main hassle is keeping the eggs safe from crows and goannas.

An old rancher friend, Vern made up hardware cloth meat holders that he hung from trees out of dog and cat reach. The screen kept birds and squirrels from stealing the meat and the maggots fell off for the chickens below. Sandy insisted Vern NOT hang them above where folk walked, she just didn't the humor for some reason.

Deb used to keep Emden geese. I like geese, they require you earn their respect but it's easy enough if you know the tricks.

Frosty The Lucky.

5 hours ago, Frosty said:

An old rancher friend, Vern made up hardware cloth meat holders that he hung from trees out of dog and cat reach. The screen kept birds and squirrels from stealing the meat and the maggots fell off for the chickens below. Sandy insisted Vern NOT hang them above where folk walked, she just didn't the humor for some reason.

Deb used to keep Emden geese. I like geese, they require you earn their respect but it's easy enough if you know the tricks.

Frosty The Lucky.

I've heard of that sort of thing being done before but not sure I'd want the smell around. 

We raised some geese when I was younger. They are excellent watch dogs. 

Put it way back in the back yard where you won't have to get close and then smell won't be a big problem. But I must've done something wrong when I grew maggots cause I barely noticed any odor except for a couple days near the beginning. It was a little rough but then the odor pretty well went away.

aus, If I remember correctly I remember hearing my grandfather use the term yardbird when I was a kid. 

I can't let mine roam free in the yard my chihuahua would pluck them before they were ready for it. One roo would probably attack my big dog tryin to be alpha male. He almost died when he was a chick and my wife nursed him back and he's been mean every since but I can't kill him or my wife would kill me.

Well DON'T use a roast! :blink: A small piece will make lots of maggots and they eat the meat as it rots so smell is minimal.

Geese are not only excellent alarms they eat things like ticks, chiggers, white socks, no seeums and such annoying bugs. They also keep the weeds cleaned out of the garden though crop selection can be a factor, you don't want to grow a crop the geese like. ;)

I liked Deb's geese, they had distinct personalities and would sometimes sing with me. I found if I sang a little ditty when I did barn chores it'd quiet the geese and after a while they'd occasionally join in. Hard to believe MY singing would soothe ANYTHING but that's geese for you.

Frosty The Lucky.

I have guinea fowl for pest control. They are good alarms too when they arnt all over the country side.  I do believe they were eating my tomatoes last year tho  

keep singing Frosty, we can record it and it'll be a top hit. "Father goose and the goslings"

4 minutes ago, ausfire said:

Guinea fowl are the worst mothers though, Das. Just as well they lay a huge nest of eggs because the infant mortality rate is alarming! But yes, good pest controllers.

At first some would lay in the coop, but later they took to making community nests and would sit on their mountain of eggs 2 at a time and still not cover it. I had hoped to sell the eggs as they fetch a good price in my area, but I cant find the nest until it's too late. About 3 years and not one has hatched. yep..... Worst Mother Award!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the ideas Dogsoldat. Simple and very effective. My friend and I were talking about me making a stink bug since we can't seem to get rid of the buggers and I thought of using a spade shovel for it. I recently dug up a handle less spade shovel to use. I'll keep these birds in mind for some other shovels. 

On a side note, isn't it a shame that it's cheaper to buy a whole shovel then to buy a handle to fix one?! 

On 2/4/2016 at 6:40 AM, Daswulf said:

I have guinea fowl for pest control. They are good alarms too when they arnt all over the country side.  I do believe they were eating my tomatoes last year tho  

keep singing Frosty, we can record it and it'll be a top hit. "Father goose and the goslings"

Deb's web handle is "Snowgoose" and when we got married she was living on a hobby farm in the UP of Mi. raising African pygmy goats. Part of the reason we got to talking was I thought "Snowgoose and Frosty" was a title begging for a story be it a nursery rhymes or murder mysteries. Anyway we were looking for a name for her farm in Alaska and polling online friends. A metal artist friend name of Heath suggested, "Frosty Gooses Goats."

For some reason Deb declined the suggestion but I still love it. Maybe if I find myself tending geese again I'll see how I sound in a recording. Don't hold your breath though.

Frosty The Lucky.