I Forge Iron

Bending round rings

Sprig1

Hi I'm trying to bend round rings out of 5/16 inch round stock. I'm making trellises for a garden. The sizes would be from 8 inch to 30 inch. I tried my roller for flat stock. The kind that has 3 rolls and groves in the ends of the rolls. It made the rings but is destroying my roller. A friend has a wagon wheel roller but I haven't gone to get it yet. Does anyone have any suggestions. All the rollers I see only do up to 1/4 inch.  I would like to make more then a few these. Thanks Chris

A piece of 1/2 round stock bent into a u sticking up in a secure vise.   Feed the stock pull to bend keep feeding and bending.   Draw the curve you want bend to the drawing.   5/16 should be able to be bent cold.  If you are doing many same size build bending jigs.

Hi Glenn and 781 thanks for the response. I'm trying to do it cold. I will try the bending jig in the vice and keep it flat. I didn't keep the tubing  flat the first time I tried to bend green house arches. I have quite a few of these to build. Thanks again Chris 

If it is just plain unforged /stock bar, and if you have any quantity to do, check out a ring rolling company. For small batches I have found that they can often supply perfect rolled rings at around the same price I can buy the stock before I start to bend.

The big boys we have in the UK are the Anglering company and Barnshaws. Their websites are quite interesting if you like big bits of bent metal...

Alan

• 1 month later...