I Forge Iron

First Commission... need advice

HEAP of JEEP

After showing some of my early knives around, a coworker asked me to make him one of these spikes in damasacus.  Pretty stoked that I got a paid job, but not exactly sure how to tackle what he wants.  Its not like any knife I've made so far.  On the surface, it looks pretty easy.. its just a spike... but not quite sure of the best way to get the blood groove in there. 3-300x300.jpg.fb92473fa9a0a665ff5817cb02

It  looks like its only on one side, and my first thought is to just use a fuller, but I was also thinking it might be easier, and come out cleaner if I just make the billet, then drill it off center and cut the angles, rather than forging them.  I guess either would work, but not sure which will give me a cleaner end result.

Its going to be in 1080 & 15n20 and I'm thinking a nice tight twist would look pretty cool going down the spike.  The ones in the picture are titanium.

The originals were machined---rod end tapered on lathe, flat machined in for the point, groove cut with a ball end mill, and what people may not have noticed (until you blow it up to full size) is the series of holes down the handle drilled through in-line for the lacing.

All of that can be emulated in a forging---but---you need to clarify the customers expectations.  I personally would do an upgraded "forge" version that emphasizes the fact that it was hand forged rather than machined.  For example, hot-punching of the handle holes will distort the perfectly cylindrical handle unlike the drilled version and the emphasis of that could be a "feature" or improvement.  However, your customer might have the perfection of the machined version in his head instead so might not like that "feature".

If the customer wants an exact match, it's either machine time or a whole lot of fiddly dinking and filing to hide the forged nature (heck no!...I'd pass in that case)

I'm right there with Kozzy; "educate" your customer about how their example is a mass-produced run-of-the-mill weapon, and yours will be custom forged to their specifications, dimensioned to fit their hand perfectly, etc.. I would forge as much as you can, and hand tool the rest. 

If they are adamant about the clean machined look... well, I would forge them the billet and hand it off to a CNC shop for the milling. Do you enjoy that type of work?

Greetings Jeep.. 

Price is king..  If your customer expects a Damascus replication and expects to pay slightly more than the off the shelf price. Well same old song .. Happened to me hundreds of times.. Calculate your time and material than ask your customer what is the budget. Watch your backside. 

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Thanks for all the input.  We spoke abut it all today, and he would like as much of it hand forged as possible, so I'm going to give it a go.  We agreed on a price and he asked me to just get it as close as I can with forging it, but he definitely doesn't want a machined piece.  I've got some 3/4 round stock mild steel, so I might play around with that for a night or two before I actually start on his.  He would prefer that I hot punch the holes in the handle too... not quite sure how to tackle that either.  I'm thinking I'll punch them while the billet is still square, and the just drift them all to size after I round it up. However it turns out, it will be a fun undertaking.  He's covering the cost of the stock (plus a decent mark up), the coal, and the sanding belts, and then we agreed on a price to include my time...  So no matter how much time it takes, I think I'm still coming out ahead... it might not work out to much per hour, but since I'd be forging some project during that time anyways, I figure I might as well take on the challenge.  My wife's incense holder can wait a few days. LOL

You would not need a CNC to machine those. Just clamp in a vise, and run the ball endmill in. The tapered section will create the tapered groove look. 

As for how you would do it; angle grinder, die grinder, chisel, fullered while in a  60° Vee block..

As for the holes. You may want to have some pins in the holes after punching. That way if you round it up on the anvil the holes won't collapse.

Greetings Jeep, 

Your into the project now . Glad you got the price thing agreed on.. You might consider a tight pineapple twist for the handle . It might just show up your Damascus well .. Pictures with your progress. 

Jim

15 minutes ago, Jim Coke said:

Greetings Jeep, 

Your into the project now . Glad you got the price thing agreed on.. You might consider a tight pineapple twist for the handle . It might just show up your Damascus well .. Pictures with your progress. 

Jim

That's actually a great idea.  I haven't done a pineapple twist... in fact, had never even heard the term before reading about it on this forum, but since I'll be doing some practice pieces with the mild steel, I can try it a few times and bring him an example.  Thanks for the idea, Jim.

Looking at the point, I wonder if some sort of die would help shape the points consistently. Looks like the "bottom" 2 tapers are shorter than the "top" one with the fuller. I wonder if you had a lower die that helped shape those two tapers, the " top flat" could simply be created by hammering, then possibly fullering.

I'm probably not explaining it too well. I bet someone with more experience doing die forging might be able to explain what I'm thinking a little bit better and possibly even suggest how to make the die. I have an idea on how to do the dies, but not being all that experienced in die forging, I'll leave the suggestion to others 1st.

I hope you agreed on at LEAST 2x the price of the factory pop-outs. If you have a little pattern welded around to experiment with before starting on the spike (knife?) it'd really help you expose a spectacular pattern.

As Thomas says a throwing weapon needs a smooth handle so how about this. Put a pineapple twist on the handle then grind it smooth. THAT should REALLY expose pattern.

Forging the blade only wants a V swage so make one of those first. Developing good pattern in the fuller might be problematical unless you cut it. I'd use a side mill, they're MUCH more stable and controllable than an end mill but either works a charm. IF you don't have to Micky Mouse a set up.

Developing pattern in a forged fuller. Hmmm, how about forging the billet into a long square. That makes it easy to pineapple twist the handle, I'd do that first. Then just grind off a good portion of the flat section of the spike and dip into the center a bit with a wheel. Now forge THAT exposed section flat using the V swage and forge the fuller.

You'll be forging exposed pattern so it won't disappear and the fuller/flute should have some interesting deformation to the pattern.

Remember this isn't something that starts life as a box full of cut blanks that get chucked into a CNC mill and popped out. This is a hand forged piece of art made with skill and ingenuity no machine can match. If you pull this off you WILL get orders, don't undercut yourself right off the mark! Remember how blacksmiths get sent to hell. Not the beating black iron method.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...

could you use a round file???or would that not work?

Littleblacksmith

Littleblacksmith

Littleblacksmith

wooops didn't mean to hit enter that many times:(

Ok so your working on a triangle. Sorry if this was mentioned but I'm exhausted taking a break from digging ditches. 

I figure working on the triangle a v bottom swage would do wonders  

Make a hardy hole tool with a tapered triangle bottom and a round bar upper swage. Then you can forge in the round portion. Just an idea from an exhausted wulf.