I Forge Iron

What overhead service wire do I need

I need to run a service drop to my chicken coupe where my smithing shop is going.  I will be pulling power from my larger barn which is about 60' away which is fed by two black overhead wires. I have 10/2 wire already routed to the corner of the big barn that my builder was using to power his camper when they were building our home.  I can run the orange 10/2 up the wall to a weatherhead and hook up the drop to my chicken coupe.  

Here's my question/s, what is the terminology for the overhead wire?  I searched home depot and menards for "overhead service wire" and there was like 60 results.  Also, are there different gauges? I won't be running a bunch of euipment at once but I also don't want to be underpowered.  I may need to run at one time- 2-3 overhead lights, radio, roaster oven for quench, and maybe a power tool.  

Can anyone offer some advice, in laymen's terms please, if you start talking electrical speak to me my eyes will gloss over.  Don't worry I will have all this checked with the old electrician guy across the street to make sure it is safe as I do it.  I just don't want to keep bugging him.  I talked to him yesterday and he said he would know what to buy if he were at the store looking at it, but didn't know the nomenclature.

Thanks Chris in Stillman Valley IL

Also I can probably post some pics later when I get home if need be

I assume your new workspace has two doors, otherwise it would be a chicken sedan.

I agree with Steve's advice.  If your eyes glaze over figuring out what you need to do, that's a good sign you need a pro.  Maybe your neighbor can do the design, you can save a few bucks by running the wire for him, and he can finish the job.  It sounds like you need a subpanel, I'd suggest at least 60A.

Call your power company and ask for the construction supperviser. Tell him the run and the size of service panel you plea to use in the shop. 10/2 probably isn't going to be big enugh for a shop, or for any run of any note. The other source of info would be your local electrical supply, as the box store types are probably not electricians. The code enforcement in the next town over may be able to help, as would a 6 pack to a friendly electrician. All else failes go to the library

57 minutes ago, Steve Sells said:

you need to hire an electrician

A guy I know called the Small Business Administration and said, "I need some legal and accounting advice." The counselor said, "Hire a lawyer and an accountant."

Just to bring up a few issues involved, you biggest is probably going to be height clearance.  It's not as simple as one height--there is a different height limitation for pedestrian traffic vs roadways vs driveways and you'll likely have to install a center support or the line sag at 60' will put you into some troubles.  There are also special clearances required  if you pass over a roof overhang or deck on the route--even a window/door near the line (such as on the barn side by the drop) changes required clearances.

Then you have the issue of wire size/voltage drop which is not that big a deal--you will need to specify how many amps you want to draw as a worst case.  If it's going to have more than a single circuit, you are talking about sub panels which further complicates things.  If you need a sub panel, you get into the issue of separate grounding and bonding in the coop.

If it was mine, I'd go underground.  I don't have to dig your trench, though.  Further, If it was mine and I only needed a single circuit worth of power for lighting or small tools,  I'd probably just run an extension cord when needed and roll it up when not.

In short, avoid an electrician by avoiding the whole mess in the first place (kiss solution).  If you really have your heart set on the thing, there are enough "gotcha" requirements that you really should go with a proper SKILLED (yes, there are electrician hacks out there) electrician--in which case it's best not to cut corners on the job scope:  The "you might as well" issue means it'll probably be a better value to go whole hog with a good sub panel system.

I already have a 70a sub panel left over from a prior job.  I have the grounding rod, weatherheads, pvc, just need to know what type of wire.  That said, I agree with you guys, that if I can't figure out the wire needed, then I most likely lack the knowledge to be even messing with this stuff.  The wire will leave my big barn pretty high so I'm not real worried about clearance, and it's just going over my yard.  An extension cord would solve a lot of my problems, especially since the wife wants the basement bath done.

Heh.  Sorry if it seemed condescending but most people who ask about such things haven't even thought out the most basic of details involved.

I had a nice piece of 14 gauge romex hanging in the air at about 6' (and eaten by birds) from my barn to the old garage, split into effectively 3 circuits and then to a second old garage and connected to cotton-wrapped wire that had been well mouse chewed for another so I'm a little touchy on the subject of shortcuts.

There are tables online to give you the minimum wire gauges to carry a specified maximum amperage so it shouldn't be too hard for you to at least get an idea of what you'd need--for rough budgeting. Do a google search and show images of "wire gauge amperage" to see many.  Remember that AL wire that is usually used for overheads will be different than copper (and introduce other complications).

Since you're just crossing your yard, ... direct burial cable is a MUCH better choice than overhead wire.

An overhead service is an on-going maintenance and safety issue.

As-long-as there's no other buried utilities in the way, ... rent a "Ditch Witch" and solve the problem forever.

Or cover the roof with Solar Panels, ... and get your power directly from the cosmos.  :P

If I was on a camper trailer forum I frequent someone would have replied by now 6MMB&S but im not and I don't really know but I can tell you I have a 60 amp feed running into my workshop and I can run 4welders and a air compressor at once. But we run different voltages here so anything I say won't mean jack.

Sorry I can't help I'm just a boily 

I needed to run 130' from one shop to new blacksmith shop after fooling with a large extension cord which worked until my son drove the dozer over it, I finally rented a ditch witch type thing and put in conduit and 4 wire cable to the shop and barn while I was there.  Long day and half for 2 70 yr. olds but we found every big rock in the county but it was in.  If you are going to dig a hole anyways use conduit, it's cheap not hard to do.  Because of a major change in direction part way through we put cable in as we laid the conduit.  Worked a lot better.  We rented the digger on a sat afternoon and didn't have to have back till 9am Mon. gave us 1 day rental but plenty of work time.

Overheads are a problem to start with and a constant problem with the weather 

..well I understand what you guys are saying about the overhead being a pita, but I already have about 100ft of overhead that feeds my big barn so what's another 50-60'?  That being said, it does look messy and add some maintenance so maybe I should wait till spring and ditch witch it in.  Thanks again for all the advice.

On 1/25/2016 at 11:24 AM, Cardinal Knife said:

the old electrician guy across the street said he would know what to buy if he were at the store looking at it, but didn't know the nomenclature.

This seems to be a bright red flag.

Go with someone that KNOWS the local electrical codes. Underground service is a one time expense as you eliminate snow loads, ice storms, trees falling across the line, as well as moving things that can snag the line. A larger sub panel than needed is room for expansion, which will happen.

What ever you do, be safe.

It appears he already decided he knows best.    As a real electrician, I cant stand by and watch this stupidity anymore. his so called expert has no idea what to get so he asked faceless names on the internet,  LOL if it weren't so serious this could be funny. 

You may wish to contact your home owners insurance about what they think....

36 minutes ago, Steve Sells said:

It appears he already decided he knows best.    As a real electrician, I cant stand by and watch this stupidity anymore. his so called expert has no idea what to get so he asked faceless names on the internet,  LOL if it weren't so serious this could be funny. 

You may wish to contact your home owners insurance about what they think....

Steve, I don't know how you concluded I have made up my mind on anything.  I have already stated I have contacted the electrician that wired our entire house (to code), and may wait till spring to go underground, at which time my electrician will most likely then run everything.  Per my other responses- I was simply trying to offer polite responses to people's suggestions.  I never stated- "gee huck, I reckon I'll be okay runnin' an extension cord for my 3 phase bridgeport".  I also didn't want to begin my experience here on IFI in this tone.  Let's just drop this discussion and move on.

35 minutes ago, oilboy328 said:

you could also buy a nice small generator, make some pretty quiet ones 

Thanks oilboy.  I could use a gen for the house anyway!

First off welcome, most of us are friendly.  Personally I don't mess with wiring but I can recommend a good book that has been around for ever:  Wiring Simplified.  I think it is in its 44th edition now.  We are getting ready to build a shop here and a guest house so I am dealing with many of the same issues regarding supplying power to the two new structures.  In our case the designer and electrician are talking about increasing the service to 600 amps.  Our incoming service is as far from the shop location as it can be on the property.  Here it will run from one end of the house to the far end and then underground for about 100ft, then across a bridge and then another 40ft to the shop.