I Forge Iron

What overhead service wire do I need

57 minutes ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

Forgive Steve, he is brutally honest and as he works on multi phase systems hot he is a bit touchy about safty. Screwing up a run to the "chicken coup" is a shock or a fire, wile screwing up where he works not only kills you it kills the guys standing around you. 

I understand, and I've done my fair share of homeowner hacks in my youth.  Enough to know when to say when and hire a pro.  I just don't want to get off on the wrong foot here as I will soon have many smithing questions and don't have anyone I know to ask these things.

27 minutes ago, LawnJockey said:

First off welcome, most of us are friendly.  Personally I don't mess with wiring but I can recommend a good book that has been around for ever:  Wiring Simplified.  I think it is in its 44th edition now.  We are getting ready to build a shop here and a guest house so I am dealing with many of the same issues regarding supplying power to the two new structures.  In our case the designer and electrician are talking about increasing the service to 600 amps.  Our incoming service is as far from the shop location as it can be on the property.  Here it will run from one end of the house to the far end and then underground for about 100ft, then across a bridge and then another 40ft to the shop.

Thanks lawn jockey, I actually have the book, lol

Just now, Cardinal Knife said:

I understand, and I've done my fair share of homeowner hacks in my youth.  Enough to know when to say when and hire a pro.  I just don't want to get off on the wrong foot here as I will soon have many smithing questions and don't have anyone I know to ask these things.

Don't worry. People here are always more than happy to answer intelligent questions, even if you've said or done some pretty stupid things previously.

Don't ask me how I know this.

22 hours ago, Steve Sells said:

You may wish to contact your home owners insurance about what they think

My home owners agent said they wouldn't cover my shop because there would be a open fire in there, I invited him off the property loudly and had new insurance and agent in 1 hr.  When contacted by the company they were not happy with agent but I told the "Too Late" you lost 4 accounts on my properties.  New company I have Liability on the shop only as most of what will be there is not replaceable anyways and I'm too old to start over as well.

It is possible to pass on information one cares deeply about without being, as Charles says above "BRUTELY HONEST" by leaving out the Brute Portion.  Ops now I'll get banned!   It's been nice!

On 1/25/2016 at 3:13 PM, Cardinal Knife said:

I texted the electrician that wired my house.  If he's too much money I'm going back to my neighbor to bug him.  Thanks Guys

I was referring to the possibility of him doing a no permit, not licensed electrician, which has in the past voided the policy.   I would have said the same thing is he was looking for DIY surgery too.  There is good reason for multi-year training and licensing required for some careers, and I did start simple and polite, by stating he should hire a pro, reading his reply, it seemed to me he wont pay for a pro unless its cheap enough.

People dont get banned for disagreeing. 

As was said in another thread, "You have to really work at it in order to get banned from IForgeIron." 

Sorry notownkid, but you are not working near hard enough.

We do take into consideration special requests if you want to go that route. (grin)

Rats!  That is what I get for "Toning down my life" as per request of my wife. 

The majority of my adult life was spent in the auto trades and ended as a Dealer Principal/Owner but I maintained my ASE certificate as a Master Mechanic plus was  a Master tech for the companies we sold products for.  I could say the same thing for DIY  auto repairs as they are a major threat to every other vehicle on the road that they meet and by a huge margin.  But I don't.

Now as for DIY surgery it might be safer than a couple hospitals in  our area!  I use to list our Vet. as our family doc. on insurance forms. 

Ah HAH! Professional environment explains the "cultural?" difference. Steve's profession REQUIRES him to be to the point and occasionally . . . ah I won't say brutally blunt but he will have to shut folks down on occasion. I know the electrician we finally got to finish wiring our house was pretty un-enthusiastically impressed with some of my ideas. A couple were just to lazy to want to bother ad the last one was seriously unhappy about fixing some of the previous guys work. Old story, nevermind.

No town on the other hand belonged to a professional culture were being polite and diplomatic with customers was seriously important. A dealership employee has to be pretty darned careful how he tells a customer his/er idea is stupidly dangerous.

Oh come on Glenn it's not THAT hard to get 86'd, a little persistent name calling or language is usually plenty.

Frosty The Lucky.