I Forge Iron

How to add color to a knife blade?

CrackOhStartNew

I don't think you know enough to know what you want. No that's not a shot, we've all been there nobody is born knowing this stuff. You first have to decide what you want THEN research it. And NO just asking here is NOT research. You might have to go to the library and read PAPER BOOKS!! :o Oh okay, THAT was a shot but a friendly one.

Once you've researched the subject enough to have an idea what you want to do and have a handle on what the methods are and how they work it's time to experiment. Heck by then you'd be able to ask good questions and someone here could give you solid answers.

We want to help but we can't more than we already have.

Frosty The Lucky.

Colors will be limited with steel that you want to keep a temper on. 

Gun blueing will be black, or brown. You sometimes get a brownish maroon color on heat treated parts when using a hot salt blue process.292°F

Parkerizing leaves a matte grey/olive drab finish. 212°F

Other than that, spray paints. Look for translucent, or other non opaque paints that will allow the polished surface underneath to shine through. We had powder paints that we put over chromed items to make them look like polished brass. They have various colors available. 300°F

For a non hardening blade, titanium and heat. Ti oxides are really tough, and are very vivid. The purple looks really good.

• 2 weeks later...

perhaps this will help, I cant think of any thing other than spray paint if you want something more detailed you could use a air brush, or imagine you could find a artist on a freelance website who would paint it for you.Are you the one who has been making the cs go knife replicas on youtube?

karmabit.jpg

How much do you want to spend? If plating doesn't do it for you you can have it "sputtered." Once encased in the metals of your choice you can patina those as you like.

If it's just for a game or wall hanger make it out of Sculpy, it comes in all kinds of colors and I believe can be polished.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 6 years later...

The only way to make a colored blade that won't wear, scrape, etc. is to use a material THAT color. Finding a material that will make a usabe blade would be the real trick. How much can you afford? 

Frosty The Lucky.

Chris Marks had developed a process for multi colored mosaic for knife blades before his passing. I saw an update from his sister a couple of weeks ago that they still have material for sell. You’ll have to look online for contact information if your interested, I don’t have it