I Forge Iron

comic bird

Just finished this 'bits and pieces' bird. The beak is the handle from a garden pruner and it opens and closes. He's called Stanley. His name is stamped on the drill brace neck. I make the feet oversize for stability and give them an awkward look with the knock-knees.

Not meant to be a serious sculpture, but they do add some comic relief to the garden.

sillybirda.jpg

sillybirdb.jpg

Ausfire,

I really like it. You guys turn out some inspiring work! I really enjoy how you and a few others use tools and junk and scrap, and fit them together as you do to complete a vision. I have done a dozen or so solid steel sculptures, either carving or forging the shapes I need from one or two pieces. But as a fabricator I really really enjoy seeing what you guys come up with next. Nice work! I'm inspired by you fellas.

D

6 hours ago, Bud in PA said:

I envy you guys who have an artistic imagination.

And perhaps a twisted sense of humour. But hey, you only have to look at some things to see what they could become. Pick up your shifting spanner and turn it towards you. It's a lizard looking back. Only needs legs and a tail. Put a pair of ball bearings on a set of old garden shears and you have a great birds head. It's just a matter of thinking outside the box.

13 hours ago, stan said:

I think the bird looks really good especially from a distance before you recognize some of the parts used, then when you do recognize that's the fun part

I always look to see what I can find in those sculptures. This one I see a few things I can't identify for sure but it's still fun to try figuring it out.

Aw it was only a little after 11:00pm here and I'm retired, no school tomorrow either.

We all have different bents one of mine is free associating everything I hear or read and that's where the puns come from, I don't have to work at it puns just come to mind. ALL the time. Sometimes I free associate the visuals but they don't connect like words do for me. Once I see something from Aus or Das I see all kinds of possibilities but they're not really mine. It's a little weird but being so different is what makes humans so entertaining and creative. I have a lot of artist friends who see cool things everywhere.

Frosty The Lucky.