I Forge Iron

First tooling to get thing going

Culver, 

Looks like a solid first run on some much needed tools. However, you are going to want to chamfer the edges on your spring swage. Those sharp edges will get you a cold shunt in your material. And have seen much worse welding, yours looks like it will hold just fine. Pretty comes with practice. And tongs are a tough beginner project, they will improve with repetition. So long as they hold the material well and you hands stay uncooked, they'll work. Nice anvil.

D

1 hour ago, House of D said:

Culver, 

Looks like a solid first run on some much needed tools. However, you are going to want to chamfer the edges on your spring swage. Those sharp edges will get you a cold shunt in your material. And have seen much worse welding, yours looks like it will hold just fine. Pretty comes with practice. And tongs are a tough beginner project, they will improve with repetition. So long as they hold the material well and you hands stay uncooked, they'll work. Nice anvil.

D

I eased the edges but they are more like a gentle roll. How much should I take them down do you think? 

taking a harder look at some more pictures is seems like they keep about 45 degrees of the top and bottom true circle and then lay back on a 30-45 angle? sound about right?

Guess I'll be heating up that spring section again to open'er back up. 

Mr. Culver,

I generally chamfer mine like a 1/8" round front and back and then smooth the inside edges about the same. Because you are constantly turning them as long as your "impact closed" dimensions are the proper size and shape and allow for cooling shrinkage you are gold brother.

D

Oh, and the larger the material generally I make a little bit larger chamfer. For instance 1" or bigger, I tend to give it a little more room.

D

Culver  I realized that I needed tongs, being inexperienced I bought some farrier's nippers, used of course. I got 3 of them for under $20 on that famous bidding site. I figure all I have to do is straighten out the curved jaws and forge the jaws to the shape that I need. I will be able to practice making my own tongs without any pressure.  I guess it will take me at least 10 tries before I get something resembling working tongs, in the mean time I'll have some usable ones.

Wow, I've never seen NEW Chain around an anvil before much less a new bolt at the same time!  Tooling looks good.  My neighbors are far enough away I don't need to chain mine.  Wife likes to hear it as she knows all is fine out there when she hears it. 

7 minutes ago, notownkid said:

Wow, I've never seen NEW Chain around an anvil before much less a new bolt at the same time!  Tooling looks good.  My neighbors are far enough away I don't need to chain mine.  Wife likes to hear it as she knows all is fine out there when she hears it. 

too funny. Had no choice, didn't have anything big enough, buddy offered me 12' and I figured beside anchoring I would wrap it. Figured it couldn't hurt. 

23 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

New Chain?!!!! They make such a thing?---Who would have thunk it!   Most of mine tend to be scrap yard or side of the road finds---the infamous "carry-iron" that even vultures won't touch!

I only see new chain in buckets at Tractor Supply or HD.  I have always loved chain any chain and never pass up a piece of chain esp. if free.  Drives my wife nuts when I see chain beside the road or in a sale and turn around to go back.   I have tractor chains I sold the tractor they fit years ago.  Just priced a tractor I've decided not to move to the new farm but told the buyer the chains are not included, they fit the front of my  4 x 4 JD 2150.  I'd have kept them if they didn't!  I have a pair of tractor chains that I found in a pile beside the road don't fit anything they are homemade out of Draft Horse pulling shoes with caulks and old chain, Nice Conversation piece but my wife refuses to let me have them  in the living room when we have company. 

On 1/15/2016 at 11:16 AM, notownkid said:

I have tractor chains I sold the tractor they fit years ago .....

Yep, ... when you live on a hill top, with a half-mile of gravel driveway, ... you NEVER relinquish any Tractor Chains.

I actually run 2 "sets" on a 2-wheel-drive Ford 4400.

A set of "Road" chains, drawn down tight, ... with a set of loose fitting "Off-Road" chains over top.

And my 75hp 4x4 tractor is chained-up on all 4 wheels.

I never take any of them off.  :D

( For years I thought the 4x4 tractor was "unstoppable", without chains, ... until 3" - 4" of ice on the driveway, taught me otherwise.  :rolleyes:

Had to run in 2' of snow, in the woods, rather than up the driveway, ... which was no problem.

But up hill in fresh snow, on top of the solid ice "Bobsled Run"  of a driveway, ... just wasn't happening.  ;) )

Culver, your tool-making is coming along nicely.  BTW, that Collins monkey wrench you used for your twisting wrench is in some places a collector's item (google and research the Collins monkey wrenches).  I recently picked up one at a flea market for $17.50 in mint condition.  Checked up on the value and they had been selling for anywhere from $65 to $130.  If you cut off the welded-on handle now and ground it smooth, it would loose any extra value, so just continue to use it as it.  That large size wrench will be good for large stock.  If anyone else runs across a mint condition Collins wrench, check it out before you weld on it.

Funny you should mention that, Arkie. I have to be aware of things like that all the time doing junk sculpture. I found a similar wrench that I was going to turn into a grasshopper. On closer inspection I saw it was engraved "Coes Wrench Co. Mass. U.S.A" . I decided that it would be saved and it is now consigned to  the wall of my workshop with a whole bunch of other 'junk' tools which I have deemed worthy of salvation. I like junk sculpture but ya gotta have some respect!

10 minutes ago, ausfire said:

Funny you should mention that, Arkie. I have to be aware of things like that all the time doing junk sculpture. I found a similar wrench that I was going to turn into a grasshopper. On closer inspection I saw it was engraved "Coes Wrench Co. Mass. U.S.A" . I decided that it would be saved and it is now consigned to  the wall of my workshop with a whole bunch of other 'junk' tools which I have deemed worthy of salvation. I like junk sculpture but ya gotta have some respect!

I Agree Ausfire. there are some old tools that just deserve respect. I have a bunch of antique tools that are just too nice and are art pieces on their own.

7 hours ago, arkie said:

Culver, your tool-making is coming along nicely.  BTW, that Collins monkey wrench you used for your twisting wrench is in some places a collector's item (google and research the Collins monkey wrenches).  I recently picked up one at a flea market for $17.50 in mint condition.  Checked up on the value and they had been selling for anywhere from $65 to $130.  If you cut off the welded-on handle now and ground it smooth, it would loose any extra value, so just continue to use it as it.  That large size wrench will be good for large stock.  If anyone else runs across a mint condition Collins wrench, check it out before you weld on it.

arkie thought you might be interested in this wrench with a metal handle, I made it into a twisting wrench years ago.The other ones a wall hanger.

IMG_1052.JPG

IMG_1050.JPG

4 hours ago, ausfire said:

Ausfire, good that you are saving your wrench.  Check further on your Coes wrench.  There was a patent infringement lawsuit involving Coes and Collins in 1889 wherein their wrench designs were almost identical.  Google either name and you will find some links describing the history of both and other info (too many links to post here).

Regarding your pictures with the two wrenches, looks like there were several manufacturers making wrenches with that pattern.

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/130/56/case.html

22 hours ago, arkie said:

I had actually looked into it when it was given to me. the area where the stock is welded on actually had been previously welded, i believe for the same purpose. The off side wooden handle had been replaced as well.  I figured both of those things would have impacted the value and since it was given to me for use in this purpose I figured it was only right. This is something that I certainly have to be mindful of for sure and I'd hate to see a really nice tool altered and not preserved. When my father passed away I ended up with bins of old tools. After looking at some of the prices I saw on line checking this wrench out I better take a closer look at what is in there...lol

I took a class last night and it was  the first of two nights. It was forge welding. 

We were making a flux spoon to take home. Flux that we used was borax. We started out with a piece of 1/4" round and a 20" piece of 3/8" square. Partial Cut the round into fourths and folded them in to make a bundle. forge welded the two ends and drew down to 3/8". Then  welded the bundle onto the end of the square stock. twisted and then untwisted the bundle to give it the open look and drew out the hook on the handle. On the opposite end we partial cut and folded back about 1-1/2" of the 3/8" and welded it to itself. Then drew out and shaped the spoon bowl.  Sounded pretty easy, huh? LMAO

I ran out of time so I still have some straightening and cleaning to do for the finished product but pretty pleased with how the welds came out and how well they held. 

flux spoon 2.JPG

flux spoon1.JPG