I Forge Iron

Interesting fuller. Are the dies the same angle?

Naw, it'd be a LOT more work shaping a bevel by driving it into a fuller. It'd be a lot easier and faster to just draw it down. Even finish shaping would go faster with a grinder or even a file.

I have a couple wild guesses but can punch so many holes in them you could read bill boards through them so I'll hang out and see what someone says.

I'm sure someone knows what it's for.

Frosty The Lucky.

I got one at an auction during an hammer in and was told it is for caulking horse shoes.  Each slot is different size for the different size caulks.  It holds the caulks while you drive the shoe down onto it.  I've tried it and it does work so it's a caulking fuller in my shop.  Some Caulking vises I've seen have some similar built on top behind the jaws.  I'm presuming most know what caulks are for. 

Greetings Ashton,

I have aquired many things in the past to include 2 similar bricks like yours. One has a open area under the form . From what I have read and researched they were used to reshape picks and some plow parts .. I have never found anything written or pictures just guesses. Maybe someone will chime in with more info .. 

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Wether that particular block is for welding to calks on I can't say for sure. Looks the part. 

Calks, are traction aids, originally for brick/cobble streets and ice. Heals are turned up but not the toe, a bar with two points (vagly like a staple) is driven across the toe web of the hot show (the points holding it in place) and then the assembly is fought to welding temp and the toe calk welded on. With out a roved block the calks get mushed during the welding cycles, that's ok for streets but not for ice

• 4 weeks later...