I Forge Iron

The mental start

Ok here is the mental start to a project. Not blacksmith related other then blacksmiths may have made some of these bits. But insight into how an insane artists mind starts. We see something and the mind starts seeing things and it morphs from there. Well I can only talk for myself. But I see a rough cut piece of wood with old braces and bits fanning out to the smaller and older ones. 

Let me know what you think. I want to do this one without ruining any of these yet locking them in place. I love antiques like this and couldn't bear to ruin them. Best I want to go is to epoxy them into place. 

I plan to make this so it will happen. ;) 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Greetings Daswulf,

Great old stuff I have tons also and display it on walls. Just a thought.. You could take a 10 in log with a base attached and drill pocket holes at an angle up to create a cool sculpture .. Something like a Christmas tree upside down.. Have fun 

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Lol Frosty! If I were that good at wood work I would carve a log into a tooth and set one in there  

BigGun, I've been thinking about adding a circular saw blade. Cleaned one up last night and it turns out it was made in Pittsburgh. It's also a good art candidate as it has a couple cracks where it isn't functional. Also been thinking of putting them into a round log cut. As far as drilling their own holes I think maybe three of them could. Others are pretty dull and I figure pre drilling ( by modern means) would work. I like the ideas coming out on here. Obviously I'd have to choose a design but I appreciate the ideas you all put forth to get in my head to push it along. 

Panday, I'm not positive I know what you mean by forks but I almost picture it. Just don't think what I picture is what you do. 

Charlotte, dreadlocks? Lol. 

6 minutes ago, Flankem said:

Das, 2p10 is an amazing glue. I use it all the time on crown moulding and other things on the job. It holds just about everything. Just an idea to go along with using epoxy. 

Cool I'll look it up. Thanks. At the moment I'm thinking about getting a log cut to see how it would look in a log cross section stood vertically.  

That would be a neat idea if I can find one like that that is still solid enough to use. 

Pretty sure there is a resin that can be used to impregnate wood to pretty much preserve it and strengthen it. I'll have to look into that. 

39 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

That would be a neat idea if I can find one like that that is still solid enough to use. 

Pretty sure there is a resin that can be used to impregnate wood to pretty much preserve it and strengthen it. I'll have to look into that. 

Check out System Three Rot Fix or Boat Life Git Rot.