I Forge Iron

broken leg vise

Ethan Stone

I just got a good deal an an old broken leg vise, it is still in working condition except the spring is broken and the leg is snapped in half but i know some one who could weld that right up, i got it for $25 and its the biggest vice Ive seen with 5inch jaws and it weighs probably 45#. did i waste my money? i will upload some pics if you guys want.

Edited by Ethan Stone

Ok, looks like the mount is broken, no problem, ither forge a new one or have your welder budy weld on a peice you can curve and punch/drill. And ad a leg to bring he up to about 40" (the bracket bolts to a 36" bench) looks like the spring is intact. 

Edited by Charles R. Stevens

Ok, looks like the mount is broken, no problem, ither forge a new one or have your welder budy weld on a peice you can curve and punch/drill. And ad a leg to bring he up to about 40" (the bracket bolts to a 36" bench) looks like the spring is intact. 

the spring is intact but when i tighten it down and then loosen it i have to pull it back manually. 

Spring didn't look broken, looks like the bolt plate is broken and that can be fixed. 

Do yourself a favor and unwind the handle and check the threads on the screw. How do they look? 

Jaws look pretty good in my opinion.

i checked the threads be fore i got it they look great.

are you saying it isnt worth $25?

Value is relative to the person/place. if it's worth it to you then it is. i would pay that without blinking an eye, fix it up and use it no problem. they do pop up around me from time to time but usually go for a little more/same in incomplete shape, or alot more in better shape. If the screw is good, and the jaws look pretty good to me, fix it up and use it. it'll last you many years. whats that worth?

Value is relative to the person/place. if it's worth it to you then it is. i would pay that without blinking an eye, fix it up and use it no problem. they do pop up around me from time to time but usually go for a little more/same in incomplete shape, or alot more in better shape. If the screw is good, and the jaws look pretty good to me, fix it up and use it. it'll last you many years. whats that worth?

ya i know i just wanted to ask him so i could prove that it is worth it.

I think David has the right of the spring, fix the mount and the leg, mount it and clean and grease it. Then see if the spring needs tweeked (doubtful) grease the tip of the spring, the pivot, treads and thrush washer. Honestly with modern grease the spring contact is the only thing you will need to grease again for a few years.

are you saying it isnt worth $25?

It is defiantly worth 25$ I used bad phrasing there.

I would not bother with the mount it will work as is no need to weld on a new ear its strong enough.  In your photo the spring looks ok.  The real problem is that it is installed upside down.  Also that chunk of yellow steel pretending to be a wedge is probably too small to take up the slop you may have to forge a new one.  Its angle should match the other wedge so they slide smoothly past each other as you tap them into place. 

It is defiantly worth 25$ I used bad phrasing there.

I would not bother with the mount it will work as is no need to weld on a new ear its strong enough.  In your photo the spring looks ok.  The real problem is that it is installed upside down.  Also that chunk of yellow steel pretending to be a wedge is probably too small to take up the slop you may have to forge a new one.  Its angle should match the other wedge so they slide smoothly past each other as you tap them into place. 

The spring is not upside down.  The vise in the photo is though!  On both of my post vises the springs look exactly as on Ethan's vise and on any other post vise I've seen.  The "L" shape goes on the shackle (fixed) at the top and the gentle curve goes on the bottom (where the spring moves) when the vise is mounted upright.