I Forge Iron

Pipe for candle holder

Daswulf

that looks great

knobs on the end of those spikes and you could be selling them to the nautical dudes

where is the large Screw from? bridge spike? pylon screw?

uh, that large screw is from scrap a friend brought over. no idea of thr source but it looked like something to do with telephone poles. it was badly rusted tho. the spikes i made as nails from my first nail header. gatta find a use for them right? :)  i guess thats an idea to put knobs on the ends if i could do anything with the ball bearings i have sitting around.

You can derust things like that screw in diluted Naval Jelly, about 50/50 in clean water. A piece of PVC with a cap on one end would make a good container for the screw. Over night is plenty for the things I've done. You GOTTA rinse it and neutralize the phosphoric acid in the Naval Jelly with baking soda and rinse again before it dries or it'll turn it phosphate oxide black. Flat BLACK. Gotta give it a spray or wipe of oil too or it'll rust fast, Fast, FAST.

Just arc weld the bearings on. No rules against arc welders, heck Mr. Miller the inventor was a blacksmith and shortly after inventing the thing Mr. Yellin had several in his shop too.

Frosty The Lucky.

It's pretty safe stuff, read the label on the Naval Jelly for disposal particulars. Seeing as they won't let me have phosphates in dish soap anymore I have to live with extreme disposal laws and hard to clean dishes.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...

Once had to wash my van down with rig wash (high phosphate made for drilling rigs), They were spraying corrosion inhibitor on some laid down drill pipe and didn't bother to tell us that the over spray and the 40 mph wind and the sand was hitting our vehicles by the logging unit.   Not so amused when we shut down logging the well to deal with it. (charging them several thousand dollars an hour to wash our vehicles!) Had to wash my van off with diesel and then wash the diesel off with rig wash. That and all the sand did a pretty good job of giving me a matte finish; not much of an issue with my 1968 ex-phone company van; but my  coworker's bright yellow camaro  was never quite the same till it got re-painted...