I Forge Iron

hay rake teeth

I am wondering if when they say hay rake teeth, are they talking about the early 1900's type of dump rake, or the newer (1950's or so ) type or hay rake? I have some of the old tines and I am curious if it is the high carbon steel that they are talking about. thanks, just found this forum and am looking forward to learning a lot here.

John, dump rake teeth ( sulkey ) are yes great steel. I have had some modern rake teeth in the shop for several years but have honestly not tried them. Actually i thing the teeth I have are from a finisher behind a chisel plow. Suspect with some experimentation they would do for many things.

I don't think all hay rake tine is the same. I've found two sizes. I'm not sure of the diameters (I'd have to go out to my cold shop and do some measuring). I've used the thinner ones to make flint strikers and they work great. I found some that were a little thicker that I couldn't get hard enough to spark. I've got a new supply of the thinner ones, but haven't had a chance to try them out yet.

I have made some tools from these, but have not hardened them yet. I will be doing that in the next couple of days. I don't have much experience in tempering, so I don't how the results will come out. I am hoping that I have the teeth that are hard, although they seem to be about 3/8" I didn't measure them. I ran some on the grinder and they sparked like the 4th of july, but I have read that that is not really a good indication of spark. they are very springy but again I don't know if that means anything. This rake was on the farm when we moved here in the 60"s I think it was at least from the 40"s and probably before the farm was build in 1910 or so. Not sure if the age makes any difference. thanks for all the replies and when I do get a successful temper I will let you know, I guess I will do a test with a file to see how hard they are.

• 10 years later...
5 hours ago, Glenn said:

the assist springs on overhead doors. 

There are two kinds of overhead door assist springs: extension springs and torsion springs. Extension springs are generally smaller in diameter and about 25" long for a standard 7' door. Torsion springs are made from heavier stock (around 1/4"), range from about 2" to over 6" in diameter, and can be any length, depending on the size and weight of the door. Torsion springs are probably what you want for your triangles.

Call around to garage door repair places near you, as they will often have old or broken springs that they've replaced on customers' doors. I've gotten a LOT of springs from the guy who fixed my door a couple of years back; he's got a pile the size of a pickup truck out behind his shop, waiting for the scrap prices to go back up.

I don't know the farmer name.  ;). 

I make many tools out if hay rake tines. They must be from horse drawn equipment.

Treat as 1095 and water quench works for me. Draw a temper as needed for the tool type.

Another good old steel is potatoe planter belt. Again if from old horse drawen equipment treat like 1095 and water quench.