I Forge Iron

100 Days Until Christmas 2015, or less

I should be ashamed to admit it (but I'm not), that the "humbug" quote from Dickens is my favorite Christmas quote.  I'm obviously not big on the holiday: 

"HUMBUG!   Would that every fool with "Merry Christmas" on his lips be boiled in his own pudding...with a stake of holly through his heart!"  

What can I say, I'm a Grinch (to mix stories and metaphors)

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking of different ornaments I could make for friends, and the idea of using pipe to make hard wrapped candies to paint and hang came to mind. Searching has yielded no results that this has been done before but I think it's pretty straightforward. (I like to see if others have attempted a project before so i can learn from any mistakes they may have made before making them myself!)
I think if i used the guillotine to neck down the 2 sides of the pipe and then twist the ends once, flatten and spread out the "wings" that should look pretty decent, right?
Any thoughts or suggestions? Any other ornament ideas?

(For some unexplained reason, i'm unable to upload the image of a "Hard wrapped foil candy", so if you like you can Google that term to see what i'm thinking of.)

Edited by JimsShip

I should be ashamed to admit it (but I'm not), that the "humbug" quote from Dickens is my favorite Christmas quote.  I'm obviously not big on the holiday: 

"HUMBUG!   Would that every fool with "Merry Christmas" on his lips be boiled in his own pudding...with a stake of holly through his heart!"  

What can I say, I'm a Grinch (to mix stories and metaphors)

"Are there No Prisons?"    "Are there NO Workhouses!!!????"    Repeat as required.   "Humbug" to taste.  <_<

• 1 month later...

Im planning on trying to make some bottle openers out of railroad spikes. The only problem is I haven't made anybottle openers before. I have watched a few videos on it, yet I dont have an actual anvil (I use a big lump of cylindrical steel) so I cant widen the hole like that. Any tips on it? Im hoping to make something like this:

f790e7bc81e27239983797dc0f442933.jpg

I drift my openers vs opening up the ring on the horn ( still working on getting that down). You can make a simple pritchel plate by drilling various size holes in it and using them to drift open the hole. I use the small pritchel on my anvil to punch the hole ( though you can drill it with a drill or even slit it with a chisel instead). I drift to about 1" on my swage block simply because I have it. If I didn't, I'd make a pritchel plate to go over my "portable hole".

Arkie here suggested slitting vs punching the original hole and I've found that useful when I don't have as much material to make the ring. I can't remember if the RR spike opener I made I slit or punched. I know I upset the point to drive more mass up into the ring area before I did anything else. I've also found knocking in the corners 1st helps, I was fighting getting the ring round before I did that.

DSCN5030a.JPG.349e599d0aad6a63560539e2d0

DSCN5032a.JPG.fa215d7c9262d5a319fb742fed

DSCN5033a.JPG.62570a4d4ca82c3b4705da186c

DSCN5035a.JPG.7e6db509fa491cd93cd5319914

DSCN5036a.JPG.9af740cc4eff985a0dd35af086

DSCN4620a.JPG.23783749b36f2fb3293083202d