I Forge Iron

Firefighter axe WIP

A guy at work wants a pick head axe, so here we go.  The first two attempts were disasters.  The chisel kept wanting to walk to either side under the power hammer when drifting the eye, and trying to forge down a corner for the pick head axe part, kicked a yellow hot 10lb chunk of metal into my chest and hand.  Finally, on attempt block#3, I drilled/filed a 3/8" groove into another blank and it worked.  I also cut out a square of material from the blank to help make the forging process go easier.  So far so good.  None of my drifts would fit under the power hammer, (having 8" clearance) so most of the work was slowly done by hand with sledges.  The block started out as 1.5"x3.5"x8".  The axe is pretty much forged, and now it's up to the client to either have me smooth the sides or leave it as forged.  I'll profile the handle tomorrow.  Axe is now 7.5lbs, solid 4140.

John Rigoni

Rigoni Ironworks

20150619_143056.jpg

From the first failed attempt I made this drift for the next block.

20150721_161223.jpg

Eye is drifted.

20150910_180720.jpg

Spike is finished, woot!  More handwork since the taper was too extreme for a taper attachment on the power hammer.

20150911_152450.jpg

Rough forging is finished, time to straighten the blade and begin the outer profile.

20150911_171506.jpg

Here is the axe so far.  7.5lbs, fought me most of the way, but so far so good.  The texture from the forging was achieved using crowning dies on my Sahinler.  Next step is the handle and inlay.

20150912_130757.jpg

Edited by JRigoni