I Forge Iron

How to Safely Remove Galvanized Coating?

3 hours ago, Steve Sells said:

I gotta wonder about people that make such a strange post like this one, then never return to IFI again

His dad probably told him he can't use the fence posts around the house. When I was a kid I used to go off in a huff when one of my ideas got met with practical experience. Sometimes I'd sit and think they were going to be really sorry when I didn't speak to them when I was rich and famous from inventing whatever the idea was about.

I'll get over it someday.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/10/2016 at 1:59 AM, Buzzkill said:

Steel exposed to acid in the presence of oxygen will rust FAST.  The muriatic or vinegar baths work well to strip zinc coatings or derust items, BUT only if they are submerged so that oxygen can't get to the steel's surface.  

I've recently used an angle grinder with a flap disc to clean the surface rust on my anvil and then left it there for about a week and a half and there are rust spots on it again.

Im thinking maybe I should have applied some grease of oil to prevent the anvil from rusting?

How quick would acid strip galvanisation if I left it in an acid bath?

IMG_1456.JPG

Don't bother with the flap disk again.  It is more harmful to your anvil, by far, than a little rust.  Every particle of metal you remove from the thin, high carbon surface is irreplaceable.  Instead, just coat it with a little automatic transmission fluid if you want to protect it.  Then use it.  Grease would probably make a mess on your tools, clothes and your work pieces.

There is also no need to use acid on your anvil.  It is not galvanized and doesn't need to be etched.  It would likely just damage the anvil.  All you need to do is oil it and then use it.  If appearance matters to you hit it with a wire wheel before you oil it.

1 hour ago, Gorō said:

How quick would acid strip galvanisation if I left it in an acid bath?

There's pretty much no chance at all that your anvil has a zinc coating on it, and Lou already gave you good anvil care tips.  If you have to remove the galvanized coating from other objects an acid bath can work, but how fast it will strip depends on several things.  The thickness of the coating, the concentration of the acid, the ambient temperature - all these things affect how quickly the coating will be removed.  I find that typically one day in 5% vinegar (normal strength from the store) is enough.  It also works for loosening/dissolving the scale from forging.  If you do that just make sure you use something to neutralize the acid after removing it from the bath  or it will rust quickly.  Baking soda, an old toothbrush, and some water are all that's really needed.  Rinse well and dry after that.

Some of the guys on here do use electrolysis to clean up large rusty items such as anvils and get great results.  I have not done this yet, so I'll leave those recommendations to someone who has.

Like others said, the more you clean it the more you expose the steel to the air. Leave the surface rust and oil it. if you really want you could rub it with wet and dry sandpaper and oil, but the important thing is the oil.

You could also rub it with plumbago. Fanciful but will make it look very nice. 

Your anvil surely has a history. I like it. Is it a Peter Wright?

• 3 years later...

As old as this topic is I want to tell you a couple of things about muratic acid. First, muratic acid is the acid used in swimming pools to adjust the pH. Another place it's used in in Murine eye drops. However in both the pool and in Murine the acid is VERY diluted. Just looking into a bottle of swimming pool muratic acid can get some fumes in your eye and damage it. Always use goggles. Anyway disposal isn't really damaging if it's diluted enough, just like if you were to drain a swimming pool. 

True. I was thinking about the acid not the zinc. I'm not sure how to dispose of zinc properly. Of course zinc is in the ground and even ocean water naturally. It's even in vitamin supplements so it must not be too dangerous. Still, I don't know what form the zinc removed from steel is in compared to these.

Wow; all the early poisons were found "naturally".  For instance Botulism is a naturally occurring thing that makes one of the deadliest poisons out there. Arsenic, mercury, asbestos, cyanide, digitalis, the list goes on and on not to mention all the naturally occurring diseases---want some tetanus?---I don't!  Even water will kill you if too much is consumed and it's a necessity to the body.    So "naturally occurring" has no bearing on what's actually tolerated by the human body. 

I had a friend who got metal fume fever that progressed to pneumonia and DIED.  Please don't follow in his footsteps.

• 2 weeks later...

Fume fever is nothing to mess with... I made that mistake when I first started working. Splitting headache and dizziness leading up to very vivid, strange dreams and a chest-ache for a couple days. I got lucky. Very. 

Zinc is necessary, yes, and in the proper doses can do wonders for your health. When consumed properly, NOT inhaled. Once you cross over the healthy limit, zinc toxicity sets in and it can get... ugly. 

You do raise the point of not knowing the form it takes. Many mundane elements can combine to form powerful toxins, acids, bases, etc. Just as dangerous elements can combine into useful and necessary substances. Try to eat sodium, your mouth may explode. Try to breathe chlorine gas, you are more than likely going to die a horrible death. Sodium-Chloride is quite tasty though. 

At least you have the thought of what kind of potential toxin COULD be formed. 

• 3 years later...

Hi, I’ve decided that I want to be a bit of a cheapo recently and try and forge weld a bunch of old barb wire that has been sitting out on out property into somewhat usable(hopefully) billets. The wire has been sitting since before I was born and I have no way of making sure it isn’t galvanized. As such I would like to go through the removal process just in case. What do you guys thing the best way of doing this would be.

Welcome aboard Ranchman, glad to have you. If you put  your general location in the header you'll have a much better chance of meeting up with members living within visiting distance.

Trust in rust. Galvy is a sacrificial coating it oxidizes so the iron won't. If the wire is rusty the galvy is gone.

Frosty The Lucky.