I Forge Iron

Newbie: Where to start?

Hello all,

I'm a newbie here and I am dreadfully interested in setting up my own forge and getting started in smithing,first as a hobby but preferably more in the future. The first of many questions I have, I'm sorry in advance if I ask questions that have been asked many times, is where did you start?  Should I build an entire forge, buy a burner and build the rest, or buy the whole darn thing? After doing a plethora of internet research I have come to the conclusion that I am interested in setting up a gas forge to start with, nothing too large and preferably something that I could do a majority of forging on. Basically just asking advice based off of where you all started. Did you start as a hobby and grew from there? Did you start with a coal or gas forge? Did you go too big too soon, or was your's too small to do what you were looking for? Did you have trouble finding materials to work with? I'm primarily interested in bladesmithing but metalworking in general is sounds glorious. I am glad I found such an active community of like minded individuals with knowledge to assist in such a fabulous craft, especially local!

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. I'm on Vine Rd and can show you the ropes, I do some teaching. PM me if you'd like to meet up.

I can't believe I missed your post, I need to check my notifications settings. Give me a shout.

Frosty The Lucky.

Start with a visit to Frosty. Take lunch for both of you, and a cold drink or two. You will learn and see more in one visit than you can imagine. From there you will have a data base for which to ask questions. Find when the AK blacksmiths are meeting and go to the meetings. They have the knowledge you seek and are willing to share.

Oh come on guys, you live within reasonable visiting distance of some blacksmithing greats and confabs to die for. I'm just a hobbyist who spends time reading and playing with fire and hammers.

On the other hand I'd dearly love to spend some time with any of you lugs let alone at the anvil. A boy can dream. On that topic, my shop is open to visitors with a day's lead time. Can't be surprising Deb you know.  ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

If I ever make it that far north I'll definitely have to drop by and see the legendary Frosty in person. I'll even bring some of my wife's apple dessert that isn't a pie but isn't quite a cobbler either lol. Of course that goes for a few other places like New Mexico, Oklahoma, Indiana, and West Virginia to name a few.

Edited by M Cochran

Cool I'll wash some plates. It's going to take some extraordinary coordination to visit me in NM, IN, OK, WV, etc. though, It's a bit out of my neighborhood. Sounds like fun though, are you going to bring apple desert for everybody?

Frosty The Lucky.

Oh, I was hoping you were offering to buy tickets. <sigh> We'll get some of the guys together if any of the gang make it this far. I understand, it's MUCH easier to cook a batch than just for two people. I made a "small" meatloaf a while back and it was making sandwiches for a week. Wrapped it in pizza dough and popped it back in the oven for about 20 minutes to bake it. Meatloaf Wellington heals with meatloaf gravy make for squabbles over who gets one. Fortunately two heals is perfect for Deb and I.

Frosty The Lucky.

I can't crock pot a roast or soup for the two of us anymore, Deb just isn't into leftovers past once. Church pot lucks on the other hand almost never send us home with leftovers. I made ox tail soup for Lenten service, soup and bread suppers two Lents back and I discovered folk wiping the inside of the crock pot with bread to get it all. Boy did THAT make me feel good!  :D

When I was living alone I did a lot of minute steaks and frozen veggies. 1 can of tuna and a little minute rice is pretty darned tasty and small enough for one person. I also lived about half a mile from a good cafe and ate a LOT of cafe food, it's a lot less waste than trying to cook for myself. But OH I LOVE meatloaf sammiches, hot or better, cold!! :wub: Heck, that's why I make meatloaf anymore, for lunches.

Frosty The Lucky.

I LOVE Lenten services, eating someone else's cooking is a real treat. I'd do moose soup or roast but half the soups are game or local fish. I had to come up with a different strategy for Lenten soup and bread suppers. I only take a dab and come back for another dab down the line. There have been a couple where I'd take a dab and just bet back in line and eat as I waited another turn.

A couple years ago someone brought a cured, smoked black bear roast. It didn't last the whole line once through. I'm not a huge fan of bear but done right and it's 4 star goooood. They brought cured and smoked caribou once too and it was almost as good. I keep telling Deb we need to get on their dinner guest list.

Being a Lutheran Church pot lucks and bake sales are favorites for fund raisers. The youth groups have chili cook offs for the summer camp fund. Chili cook offs are always accompanied with really good corn breads.

Darn I'm getting hungry!

Frosty The Lucky.

• 4 weeks later...

Hanging out with Frosty is some of the most fun I've had.  He has a great shop and I wish I could go down and hang out with him and Deb more often.  You won't go wrong and the few times I was able to go I learned so much.  Thank you Jerry for your hospitality and friendship.  You're a great guy and I am proud to count you among my friends.