I Forge Iron

Big fires all around.

Dogsoldat

Fire started at Rock Creek BC. Jjust above my brothers place.  First day went to 700 hectares now up around 2500 hectares on the second day.  Didn't get his trailer but got a neighbours,  and moms is good.  14 hours away visiting friends.  Highways are  shut down close to home.  Bunch of other fires nearby messing things up.  A plane crash next to the border near Oroville WA.  burnt up the mountain closing the highway there. She's big ugly and nasty!  0% contained working to hard saving houses right now.  Just asking for rain dances that exclude the lightening and wind...  sucks being out here worrying about xxx  but wouldn't be any better at home in the thick smoke worrying...

Rain Please and Thank you!

Well  keep it up guys...  few people posted on facebook that it sprinkled a little over night,  enough to clear a little smoke.  Guess another one is east on the Paulson.  Highway might be closed out that way...  whole area is trying to burn up. Few pictures up of shops, sheds, and cars that have burnt.   One shop is four foundations and I know that 2 nice anvils were hiding in there from an estate sale.  The crews seem to be doing a pretty good job of saving peoples houses only a few have burnt that I have heard of so far. 

picture someone posted on facebook looking east the first night,  Rock Creek is just off the right side of the picture in the valley bottom.

11896191_871663149581528_8515058415366823166_n.jpg

Just got the phone with Mom,  brother was in at his place put the sprinklers on everything he could last night,  flared up over night and burnt everything around him, his wood piles and some lumber but everything that was wet was untouched.  House is still there.  Mom's happy and cheerful.  So sounds like things are improving at least for us.  He'll have a whack of yellow pine firewood to cut on the hill above his place.  Just hoping everyone else gets of reasonably lucky!

forbidden...    West Rock Creek fire up to 4500 hectares. 50% contained  30 houses several out buildings.  very little smoke from it. highway open again.  Stickpin fire south of Grand Forks is socking us right in w/ smoke.

Edited by Dogsoldat

Try this again...Brothers place looks a lot better than anticipated.  He'll have more than a few dead trees at a latter date but that will just replace his fire wood pile that burnt.  all the usual small smokers that try to start up again but looks like things are under control. Same on the Tesalinden fire west of Oliver/Osooyoos.  Had really nice clear skies all the way over when I took Mom and the wife over to pick up fruit for canning.  Started to roll in last night and can't really see the mountains on the east side of town now for the smoke.  Grand Forks is heavier still as the Stickpin was reported to be 4.5 Km away, at least winds have been favourable and slowing the spread.  Feel a bit better that at least the highways are open again and a person can move if they need to.  I'm glad your guys are on the way  Ausfire. 

We have some the have been biten and others killed, prayes for the fammalies of the fallen, the wonded and thise still on the line. 

For those from OZ remember, because the sun is in the sothern sky not the northern its easy to get turned around, but the sun still sets in the west and rises in the east. Good luck brothers

I got an email from a cousin saying their retirement home at Kettle Lake is in the path. They weren't there when the evac orders were issued so all they can do is wait and watch.

I've been saying words with Higher since the season started. To our fire fighter mates from down under. Thank you and beware the beast she's on a roll. As Charles said, be very careful judging direction by the sun, it's backwards and instinct can overcome conscious knowledge. Trust your compass and GPS locators, you're operating IFR, trust your instruments. We've already lost too many.

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

Cousin Judy sent another update tonight with this Youtube fire map. the fellow putting it up updates it regularly, daily I think. Judy and Don's retirement home is in Kettle Falls, not lake. A neighbor of theirs says the flames are cresting the mountains and ridges on 3 sides and closing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgp8SDoo3O4

Frosty The Lucky.