I Forge Iron

My attempt at forging an adze

I'm a beginner at moving steel, but have an extensive background in woodworking.

So I thought I would try my hand at making some woodworking tools.

First on the list was a small straight adze, next will probably be a curved adze.

I used 1 1/8" Cruforge V and a chunk of walnut I had laying around.

here are a few shots of my process.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Jspool

Welcome aboard J, glad to have you. Well join the club probably the largest demographic of blacksmiths until the internet started recruiting future addicts was the wood guy who wanted THAT special thing but didn't want to spend THAT much on one. Chisels, knives and plane blades are probably the most common "I can make THAT" projects.

Once you've experienced the soul deep satisfaction of beating the heck out of a defenseless piece of HOT tool steel you're hooked, no turning back.

Enjoy the addiction I do.

Frosty The Lucky.

Did you know Reed Oswalt? He's another long time inhabitant of the Rock and does a bit of smithin. I'd like to meet him face to face and Deb hasn't been to the Rock so maybe. I've been there on jobs but that was years ago. I'd like to meet Reed and shake his hand some day and Deb hasn't been out thataway so who knows.

Been searingly HOT here too, hit . . . 73f yesterday! :o 90s on the Peninsula is WAY too hot for the PAC NW.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks guys.  It's my first try at an adze.  I have made a few knives, and I tried to do a RR spike hawk a few weeks ago with a piece of 52100 welded in for the edge.  I totally screwed that one up, especially the weld! I use it to spread epoxy. 

Thanks Bigfoot,

i wanted to draw out the cheeks, but when I tried to do so on the air hammer, the drift fullered them longer rather than wider.  I have since been told to use a top and bottom fuller, and to do so earlier in the process in order to draw them out.  Hopefully I'm more successful with my next attempt.  Gotta love the journey!

Edited by Jspool

Draw the cheeks out before you do the final eye drifting to size ( but then you will need a bolster block with a radius to match the cheeks so when you drift to the final size for the eye, you do not disturb the cheeks). - Looks good though.

Yeesh. Arizona was the hottest place I was stationed (went on the front porch one morning in Hereford to find it 116 at 10 a.m.) short of Iraq. I still prefer it to Macon in summer.

That's a beautiful adze. I love making woodworking tools...(hey, didn't I used to do woodworking a bit? wonder what happened to that addiction...)

I have to admit that my "metal" shop has kept me away from my woodworking , but I did work the walnut handle for the adze!

In use pics are tough, but I'll ask my daughter to help out with that.  The angle of this adze lends it well to be a chop and drawn tool, with one hand on the handle and the other on the aft end of the head at times.